ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pump for moving stored/aged water to aquarium (Need Suggestions)

Default Pump for moving stored/aged water to aquarium (Need Suggestions)

I have just about everything ready to go for my discus setup, I have water sitting in an aging barrel, but haven't pulled the trigger on a pump yet. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what pumps you guys and gals are using to transfer your stored water to your aquarium...please recommend brand, price, and how long you've had success with said pump.

Thanks!
    Mike

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Pump for moving stored/aged water to aquarium (Need Suggestions)

I've been using Mag pumps for years without issues.
    Here is a link to prices just as a reference point....I would say a Mag 9.5 will be more then sufficient to transfer water. I use 1200, 1800...price was right at that time but are over-kill in my 65g tanks used to age water but very fast.
    https://www.marinedepot.com/powerhea...upreme-ap.html

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Thanks Ralph!
    Mike

+1 to Danner. I like the pond version (Pondmaster). Same pump, but they rock an 18' cord.

Real Name
    Willie

Our local Home Depot has sump pumps (1/6 Horsepower) on clearance for $25, which is more powerful than any aquarium grade pump. I plan to pick one up over the weekend.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

ive been using the rio 14 water pump been using it for about a year with no issues i transfer water about 30 feet and do a 50 percent water change on my 125 gallon it usually take 5 to 10 mins total to drain and fill https://www.amazon.com/Rio-14HF-Hype.../dp/B000BJK3UW good luck

Registered Member

I just got a cheap 900gph pump from amazon for 30$ and it works awesome

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I use this for more than 1 yr. 30 gallon takes about 10 minutes with 1.5 stories of head to pump up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...802A/205617257

Thanks for all of your replies! I ended up ordering the Danner 24, and picked up a little everbilt pump from Home Depot to use until the big one arrives. So far, the everbilt (i think 1/8 horse) works pretty darn good...it's pretty loud, and not the fastest...but it does the trick for 75 bucks.
    Mike

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

So is the everbuilt strong enough to syphon out the waste?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiball1 View Post
    So is the everbuilt strong enough to syphon out the waste?
    I'm not using it to train the aquarium, I'm using it to pump fresh water into the aquarium from a storage tank. I use a 2" ID hose for the drain...i highly recommend it, super fast...will drain my 75g in a few minutes.
    Mike

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Head is really important if your storage tank is in the basement.

HiBall if you attached the everbilt linked above to a python setup it would definitely pull out waste.
    It is only 360 gph but at 30ft of head it is still pumping at ~200 gph, the 1200gph mag pump is listed as Shutoff at 15' of head. It's more of a positive displacement type pump and is less sensitive to changes in backpressure.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

James thankyou! Answerd my question. ODgreen thankyou as well. I actually use a rio to pump my water from my storage bins. Works well for me.

Sean

Real Name
    Jim

I pump my aged water from the basement to the second floor and use 2 x 5.5gpd Aquatec diaphragm product moving pumps. Not the fastest but they get the job done. My drain is a 3/4 pvc pipe running down between the walls to the drain in the basement. Biggest complaint is refilling the storage tanks in the basement without flooding
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...