AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fin Fracture or Ick Spot?

Registered Member

Default Fin Fracture or Ick Spot?

So the fish with this is not a Discus, it is a Pearl Gourami. I just figured I could get some help here.

So I have a Pearl Gourami that has a faint white spot on his pectoral fin. I didn't notice it the day I bought it but two days later. I took notice and feared it would be ick. So I scooped him out. I was a bit skeptical as I had gotten 10 Cardinal Tetras from the same place with nothing wrong with them to this day. The fish in there along with ten cories and the other female Pearl I have are all fine as of today 5/4/18.

So he, the Pearl, has been in a separate tote next to the tank in quarantine. I added salt to his tank as the case of ick if it was that was mild and one spotted could be handled with the addition of some salt and rise in temperature. I added salt just no heat as I only have one heater.

It has been a week and a half since I took him out and nothing has changed. He has not had a change in mood, he eats very well, he just doesn't seem sick, he looks like a happy fish. The spot remains though, along one of the cartilagenous veins of its left pectoral fin. After much research I have somewhat ruled out ick, not toally though, that is why this post is being made.

I found a video on Youtube explaining fin fractures and it really sounds like it is one.

https://youtu.be/kbDprIjoDdY

I used to keep Oscars and they used to have these spots as well, only on the pecs as these are the fins with the delicate cartilagenous veins.

I am pretty sure its a fin fracture given he is not acting sick, he is seemingly happy with an appetite, there have been no additional spots on him. This spot he has looks like its becoming a sore kind of, where the fiberous tissue is calisusing up if you will. This is explained in the video at 1:25. He also took a plunge at the fish store when I got him. He was on the second level and jumped out of the net and into a tank on the first level on the opposite aisle, the tanks behind this one. So he may have damaged it then, or when I got him in the tank as they were a bit darty and in a panic when they were added.

Also, I was very vigilant in picking fish at stores which had zero physical signs of ick. I know it can't alwasy be seen and I know there are viruses, parasites, diseases etc. that don't show signs, but still. With the factors given. Would you say I am okay to put him back in? I would think ick would have multiplied a bit by now.

Here is a video from my Youtube channel of the Gourami.

https://youtu.be/VcxrAWCYnFM

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. It means a lot. He really wants to go back in the big tank haha!

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: Fin Fracture or Ick Spot?

IMO......and I'm not an expert, I don't think it's Ich. I don't know your water temp, but for a single white spot to remain on him for ten days suggests it's not Ich. If it was Ich, depending on your temp., the spot (Trophont) would have likely gone as it would have broken up to complete the next stage of Ich ( Tomont) where the cyst forms in the substrate and divides/reproduces later becoming free swimming (Tomites) which find a host and become more white spots. This cycle is dependent on water temp. for duration of the stages. I had a gourami or two develop such spots and eventually they went away. If that spot should get bigger or fuzzy like, then fungal or bacterial treatment might be in order. Lastly, I'd put him back in the tank and monitor the situation.....if you do get Ich, the whole tank would have be treated, not just the one fish w the spot. Ich only is viable in the Trophont stage, so if the spot disappeared, many more would likely appear days later based on water temperature if it was indeed Ich.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

As you have determined it is definitely not ick. Ick is much smaller. As to the fin spot I would leave it in QT longer and see if it changes.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    IMO......and I'm not an expert, I don't think it's Ich. I don't know your water temp, but for a single white spot to remain on him for ten days suggests it's not Ich. If it was Ich, depending on your temp., the spot (Trophont) would have likely gone as it would have broken up to complete the next stage of Ich ( Tomont) where the cyst forms in the substrate and divides/reproduces later becoming free swimming (Tomites) which find a host and become more white spots. This cycle is dependent on water temp. for duration of the stages. I had a gourami or two develop such spots and eventually they went away. If that spot should get bigger or fuzzy like, then fungal or bacterial treatment might be in order. Lastly, I'd put him back in the tank and monitor the situation.....if you do get Ich, the whole tank would have be treated, not just the one fish w the spot. Ich only is viable in the Trophont stage, so if the spot disappeared, many more would likely appear days later based on water temperature if it was indeed Ich.
    I dont think it is ick either. I went to the place I bought him from today to investigate and his tanks are very clean and I couldn't find a dead fish but a goldfish with what seemed to be a swim blafder problem. I also visited more stores and examined gouramis in particular and noticed many had fin fractures and it seems to be more prevalent on bigger fish as I think they have enough bang to damage those small bones. I was thinking the same thing about the lack of more spots appearing. I put him back in the tank and seems in good spirits.
    Will keep y'all posted.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    As you have determined it is definitely not ick. Ick is much smaller. As to the fin spot I would leave it in QT longer and see if it changes.
    Pat
    I chucked him back given the MRI., most recent information. Ill keep y'all posted. Thanks for the insighr amd time to read my post and watch my video. Peace