ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water change schedule

Default Re: Water change schedule

Here it is: http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/pdf.p...presse/8_1.pdf

"We stock the 500 litre aquaria, which we use for rearing, with either: 100 fish up to 17 cm in size, 150 up to 14 cm in size, 200 fish up to 12 cm in size, 300 fish up to 10 cm in size, or 500 fish up to 8 cm in size."

They use central filtration and Mattenfilters, but those numbers are still incredible.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Seth

Yes they are. Obviously they have the perfect set up. It's funny how we get hung up on techy filters and they are just running sponge filters. Since you're recommending just sticking with my tap water, I suppose picking up my ro system was a little premature. I guess I can use it for drinking water. Would there be any benefit to running the RO water while their younger and then slowly acclimating them to just straight tap? I understand you've got to have everything nearly perfect when they are young to avoid stunting or other problems which is why most people say start with 3+ inch ones instead of smaller.

Registered Member

The problem you will face if you try to mix RO and tap water is consistency with water parameters. Better to just give them a consistent water.

You don't need perfection, rather just regular water changes and multiple feedings a day with a constant temperature.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Seth

Alright, drinking water it is then! How do you all handle feedings during the day when youre not home? Auto feeders?

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by M00n3at3r View Post
    Yes they are. Obviously they have the perfect set up. It's funny how we get hung up on techy filters and they are just running sponge filters. Since you're recommending just sticking with my tap water, I suppose picking up my ro system was a little premature. I guess I can use it for drinking water. Would there be any benefit to running the RO water while their younger and then slowly acclimating them to just straight tap? I understand you've got to have everything nearly perfect when they are young to avoid stunting or other problems which is why most people say start with 3+ inch ones instead of smaller.
    If anything, young discus will grow better in harder water. I wouldn't use R/O water at all. The only time you need R/O would be during spawning.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Seth

I was looking back through our watertest and apparently we have relatively soft water. I need to test it to verify that. I was just thinking it was hard because of the massive iron deposits we always have in the home filters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12