ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How many & Tankmates question

Registered Member

Default How many & Tankmates question

Putting together a 72g Bowfront tank for the office that has a 30g sump.

Tank will have a sand bottom and then will be using limited driftwood and fake plants, maybe a rock here and there - basically keeping it simple and with a natural look.

1. How many discuss can I put in this tank size? Was looking at something around 5 (for some reason I like odd numbers)
    2. I'll be looking to buy adult discuss because I'm not doing a BB setup, looking at aquabid they offer a sizes next to the listing, 3", 4", etc. what size should I be looking for?
    3. Tankmates - wanting to keep it colorful, how are rainbows (instead of tetras) with them? Any specific ones I should be staying away from or others that seem to work really well? Bottom feeders - looking at loaches or corys - potential issues with either of these?
    4. Office has hard tap water, I know Discuss prefer something softer but stability is key. I can bring in a 3 stage RO unit that I'm not using and mix that with tap or I can just use straight tap. Since I'm going to be looking for older fish, which route should I be going? I'll be using an Apex Controller that will allow for small daily water changes. Obviously it will be easier to just prep the tap water but if needed can do 50/50 tap/RO in 55 gallon barrels.

Basically office wanted a reef tank, I have never done salt and don't have the time to be learning salt so want to do a colorful freshwater setup that has some unique looking fish. Have been keeping cichlids for 10+ years now, just never discuss but they have always been on my list of fish to keep someday. So this tank will scratch that itch.
    Last edited by Aqualoon; 05-07-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: How many & Tankmates question

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualoon View Post
    Putting together a 72g Bowfront tank for the office that has a 30g sump.

Tank will have a sand bottom and then will be using limited driftwood and fake plants, maybe a rock here and there - basically keeping it simple and with a natural look.

1. How many discuss can I put in this tank size? Was looking at something around 5 (for some reason I like odd numbers)
    2. I'll be looking to buy adult discuss because I'm not doing a BB setup, looking at aquabid they offer a sizes next to the listing, 3", 4", etc. what size should I be looking for?
    3. Tankmates - wanting to keep it colorful, how are rainbows (instead of tetras) with them? Any specific ones I should be staying away from or others that seem to work really well? Bottom feeders - looking at loaches or corys - potential issues with either of these?
    4. Office has hard tap water, I know Discuss prefer something softer but stability is key. I can bring in a 3 stage RO unit that I'm not using and mix that with tap or I can just use straight tap. Since I'm going to be looking for older fish, which route should I be going? I'll be using an Apex Controller that will allow for small daily water changes. Obviously it will be easier to just prep the tap water but if needed can do 50/50 tap/RO in 55 gallon barrels.

Basically office wanted a reef tank, I have never done salt and don't have the time to be learning salt so want to do a colorful freshwater setup that has some unique looking fish. Have been keeping cichlids for 10+ years now, just never discuss but they have always been on my list of fish to keep someday. So this tank will scratch that itch.
    Hi Aqualoon. Looking forward to see your future office discus tank photos here.
    Try very thin layer of sand and why not some natural Anubias or Microsorums on your driftwood instead of plastics . Avoid stones because they collect debris and are too heavy and dangerous to play them around while maintaining .

5-6 is your perfect number to keep the bioload on the softer side , since this is intend to be an office low maintenance tank .

Buying adults is also a great idea for a discus first timer and lower maintenance discus tank.
    Adults ussualy means discus should have at least 5 inch(5-6- months old ) , if not more if you can afford it off course .
    Choosing discus from the SD forum's sponsors list will be much safer bet to start with IMO .

Tankmates should be added following a strict 6 Weeks QT procedure if you want to keep your discus safe from potential ailments and issues .
    Rainbows are too big of a bioload IMO. You should consider some smaller fish , maybe tetras.
    Coridoras sterbai are temp. tolerant species for discus tanks .Loaches are considered to big and boisterous to be kept along with discus .

4. I would try to keep things simple and go with
    aged tap water . RO is not necessary , especially for adult And hibrid strains of discus .

Good luck with your new office project and please send us some photos when you are all set and done
    Last edited by Filip; 05-07-2018 at 04:53 PM.

TOTALLY agree with Filip. Especially #2 response. I see MMorris has some on aquabid but would go with larger for first fish. Plus all sponsors I've used here were top notch on customer service plus GREAT stock. Kenny would call me and talk through stuff, Carolina Discus (Eric) welcomed me into his home, Uncle Sam sent video of actual fish I got pre-shipping and I'm sure the other sponsors would be just as good. I've kept my eye on Chicago as well. Can't stress enough how reliable the sponsors are.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. The best part of the office tank is that I'm not the one flipping the bill (thus why I have an Apex Neptune system that does daily automatic water changes!).

Any other idea for tankmates? Looking for something with a different body shape and really into the whole low maintenance bit, well, lower maintenance. Cory cats too lively?

Real Name
    Patty

i picked corydoras because I’d read here that they are make a great clean up crew by eating the food that falls to the bottom. I ended up loving the way my group swam together in a line or sat together on a rock. In the morning you can see the work detail by the Cory tracks in the sand. The discus aren’t bothered at all. I’d suggest a group and since you like the odd numbers, maybe 5?
    As far as other tankmates, have you considered a school of cardinals? They are colorful, different body shape, and won’t add much to your bioload, plus they can take higher temps.