ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another non eater all of a sudden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default Another non eater all of a sudden

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

One fish showed signs of not wanting to eat. Yesterday he quit eating hans flake and fdbw. He went nuts for carnivore and brine shrimp last night. Today nothing on any food. shows a little interest and does nothing.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not eating, slightly shows bars and hardly blackens up. He is not hiding but does not run up to be feed today all though he does come up and does not hide. I have 13 juvis from Hans and all eat like pirahnas. None of them have bad poop. all red and clean. There has been some instances after a water change that I see a fish flash once or twice and that's it. This fish has not flashed.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

No treatment yet. gonna doce Epsom salt

Tank/Water

Straight tap

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

Tank is 120 galons, did the ammonia fishless cycle and have had stendkers for 3 1/2 weeks.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank has been running for 3 months and has had fish for 3 1/2 weeks. Tank is bare bottom and 24 inches deep. Running 2 sponge filters and and old school amiracle 250 with bioballs.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age water for at least 24hrs, comes out of tap at ph 8.0 and rises to 8.2. Funny thing is in my tank the ph lowers back to 8.0 so when I do 50% change I figure the ph rises back to 8.1. I use prime and stress coat at every water change.

8. Parameters and water source;
    City water, 0 ammonia, o nitrites and 5 to 10 nitrates with api master test kit. GH 120 moderately hard and KH is 80 with nutrafin test kit

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___86__

- ph ____8.0_

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _5-10___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _x___

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

4 times daily Fdbw, Hans discus flake, frozen brine shrimp, omega frozen carnivore and seldom san Francisco frozen BH. I ether do 2 times a day flake or fdbw each day. so I do either fdbw or flake twice and once for the opposite of what I did twice the day before. so that's 3 of those combinations a day and for the forth feed once either carnivore, frozen brine shrimp and every few days once Bf.
    So got pics attached 2 of him and 1 of rest of discus

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.20180509_134127.jpg20180509_124921.jpg20180509_124748.jpg
    Last edited by Hiball1; 05-09-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default Re: Another non eater all of a sudden

So today i tried some brine shrimp this morning. He wasn't to enthused but tried a piece and spit it out. 2nd feeding today did a combo of carnivore and bh. He came up but did not go after eagerly. However as soon as he saw a bloodworm he went for it and munched and spit like 4 times then grabbed a piece of bh and same thing. Then finally got 2 pieces of bh that were very tiny pieces and then i noticed as soon as he tried eating he started backing up then started twitching his mouth and gills then flashed both sides. Salt is in the water since last night. Any ideas? Prazipro?
    Last edited by Hiball1; 05-10-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

So i didnt feed the discus last 2 days. Today i feed them carnivore and brine shrimp together. My leopard is active but still wont eat. He came to food and swims around it. Seems like he is interested but stops short and swims around it. I did epsom salt the last 48 hrs hoping this would help. He is not sitting in corners or hiding.

Sean,
    Sorry this didnt get any attention.I have been off the forum alot and sometimes members here just arent sure how to help.

I would suggest placing the non eaters in a hospital tank and focusing on one food. Feed it sparingly and observe them for signs of white feces. You can better know what you are up against if you can do this.Given what you have described I would guess you may see white feces from the non eaters and maybe the eaters as well. It could be bacterial or protozoan
    hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Thankyou for your response Al. Not a single fish has white feces believe it or not. I did however set up a hospital tank and may move him in there. I have really watched for the feces and all is red and plum pieces.since i have been really watching i have not seen him poo but there is no white stringy feces in the tank. I have had these fish for a little over 3 weeks now and all came from hans. He doesn't dart or anything. And here is a photo of him today. He doesn't spook and he still comes up when i come over. Thankyou again
    Sean 20180512_125104.jpg

Registered Member

metronidazole or praziquantel in too water, no 0video from mikroscope cant tell more
    and ph must be under 7 for treatment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

So today my leopard comes up to the front but as soon as I feed he is now leaving and going away and shows zero interest at all. He has kinda distanced himself from other discus now and either sits above a fake sword I have in the tank or he sits by one of the sponge filters. he does interact a little but not nearly like he was before. he still is not dark. if I come to glass he still comes up and then leaves. he has done some flashing and twitching here and there but not a significant amount. I did a 90% water change today and think I am gonna do the prazipro 21 day treatment. He doesn't stay clamped up or anything and doesn't dart around either. A couple others have flashed very little and all the rest are pigs and eat very well. He is a 3 1/2 inch fish as all the others were 2.5. I read on one thread that sometimes 4 inchers may just not want to eat. And was possibly wondering if this could be whats happening. He will still swim around but seems to stay by himself more. I figure since I have seen some flashing and some twitching that I will treat the whole tank.
    Sean

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

https://youtu.be/PARBrZIv2yQ

Ok so here is a video of him. This is the first time I have done a youtube video. He hasn't been flashing or anything now to get on video but you can see what he seems to look like and swim away on his own.
    Sean
    Last edited by Hiball1; 05-13-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Well this guy still is not eating. It's been 2 weeks now. I have done epsom salt in the tank first then switched tp prazipro for last 6 days so far. I see no change in him. He still looks pretty good for not eating. So i am thinking about doing a 90° degree heat treatment for 5 days. My tank temp is 86° all the time. If this doesnt work i dont know what else to do. All other 12 fish are fine and growing and eating very well. This fish still swims up when i come around to feed and still shows no interest. When i do feed he does alot of mouth twitching, head shaking and yawning like motions. Then even looks around by food and does nothing. Very frustrating. There is absolute zero white feces in the tank from any fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Well a bit of good news for me finally. I have had this fish in a hospital tank for the last 8 days. I have been doing 100% water changes everyday. I talked with Hans and he also suggested trying heat at 90°. 2 days ago after a water change i noticed him chasing particles around while refilling the tank. So i tried a little carnivore and he went after it. Well he was eating and spitting the bloodworms. This was the first time in Almost 4 weeks that he showed interest in food. Yesterday he started eating brine shrimp as well. Now today he is eating and spitting both but worms are disapearing so im guessin he is eating them when not looking. Now today he is racing up to my fingers to eat. Noticed he is eating small bits of bloodworms,fdbw and brine shrimp. The larger worms or pieces he spits in and out but the tiny pieces he is eating better. Was finally just about to give up. Has been stressfull but now we are heading in the right direction. Not out of the woods just yet. But i will keep him in the hosp tank until he is healthy and back to normal then i will try and move him back to the community tank if all goes well from here.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Good to hear he is on the mend. Good idea to keep him in the hospital tank until he is back to normal. I would suggest maintaining the heat until he is eating normally and ease it back down prior to moving him back to the main tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Thankyou for the info Pat. I think that is the best plan as well for the heat. He mostly eats brine shrimp no problem now but still takes time on blood worms and fdbw. he comes up and gets them but a lot of spitting back and forth as if he is trying for smaller bits rather than whole worm at a time. It's a start anyways.

Glad to hear it Sean. Sometimes they just need to settle in a little as they got stressed. Hospital tank was a good call and the heat can bump up their appetite. Hope he continues to mend.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

live blood worm is always **** from store, if you can use microscope , hes look bad use metronidazole in water and lower ph under 7, some antibiotics is dangerous when ph is above 7

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Well here is my LS. He has been doing great and growing. He now seems to be the bully in the tank. Nothing stops this guy. Ever since i placed him back in the tank he seems to have a different personality. Guess he is happier.20180814_170917.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast