ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Anyone use these DIY filters still?

Default Anyone use these DIY filters still?

When I first got into the hobby alot of people used these filters... Diy, simply a piece of foam, siliconed to a piece of tile and you use a pvc pipe thats perforated as a lift tube. I used to use them in all my tanks. Then hydrosponges became popular and I switched. The past year I made a bunch and use them in some tanks. Really a very easy and cheap filter. Just curious how many people still use some or remember using them!

2018-05-10 10.03.24.jpg

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Anyone use these DIY filters still?

I started out with about 20 just like that. 4" Poret cubes siliconed to a tile with 3/4" PVC cap in between and PVC lift tube. Finally converting most of my tanks to Mattenfilters. Wish I had done it that way from the start.

Adam,
    lol, yep looks familar!
    Got any pictures of the Mattenfilters you are using?
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Here's one being broken in with an L134 group. Mattenfilters don't break in after a few weeks like normal sponges. After several months, something magic happens. They only need to be rinsed every 12-18 months, and they handle particulate matter better than floss. Also really convenient for fry, as you can just drain behind the filter after vacuuming. Just a got a diamond bit from Jehmco, so now the only thing left is to have a couple drinks and drill the tanks for even easier maintenance.

Moving picture to show how much water a large Jetlifter moves. Forgot to mention, they don't clean the glass for you. Still working on that.

Registered Member

Hey Al
    Always have made my own filters. 3/4 inch pipe to make an "L " shape. Lift tube length
    depending on tank depth with a 1/4 inch hole drilled at an angle about 1 inch from top
    to accommodate air line. Bottom part of "EL" about 4 or so inches long, drilled with multiple
    1/4inch holes, capped at the end, hydro 5 slipped over it and your good to go.
    Jay

and works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Here's one being broken in with an L134 group. Mattenfilters don't break in after a few weeks like normal sponges. After several months, something magic happens. They only need to be rinsed every 12-18 months, and they handle particulate matter better than floss. Also really convenient for fry, as you can just drain behind the filter after vacuuming. Just a got a diamond bit from Jehmco, so now the only thing left is to have a couple drinks and drill the tanks for even easier maintenance.

Moving picture to show how much water a large Jetlifter moves. Forgot to mention, they don't clean the glass for you. Still working on that.
    Hey Adam,
    Thanks for the pics. I tried using them before and the worked great. The only problem I had was during big water changes with fry in the tank I had some losses of day old swimmers get "stuck"to the filter material as water level dropped. Have you had any problems with fry?

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Hey Al
    Always have made my own filters. 3/4 inch pipe to make an "L " shape. Lift tube length
    depending on tank depth with a 1/4 inch hole drilled at an angle about 1 inch from top
    to accommodate air line. Bottom part of "EL" about 4 or so inches long, drilled with multiple
    1/4inch holes, capped at the end, hydro 5 slipped over it and your good to go.
    Jay

and works great.
    Hey Jay, How are you? Hope all is well! Finally over the winter !

I never tried the hydros like that but sounds like they would work great. Take a few pics!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Willie

I tried these using Poret sponges, which look very similar. But I couldn't stand the break-in period when you have to let gunk accumulate.

OCD wins again!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

No problems with fry. Of course pleco fry stick with dad for 2-4 weeks, so they don't really have the chance to get stuck until they are pretty well developed.

It took me a while to get over the gunk thing too. Still siphon daily, but it's probably unnecessary.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Teo

The price of hydro Sponge is really cheap here. About SGD$3.50 (less than $3 USD) and it's available everywhere.
    The replacement Sponge is SGD$2.
    Not cost effective to DIY.
    But I have to admit there's really alot of satisfaction with DIY products...