Kenny's Discus     NADA

Thread: Mosquito Fish.... Pics and questions!

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Default Mosquito Fish.... Pics and questions!

Hi all,

Several months ago I got the crazy idea to breed mosquito fish, and also try and cross them to guppies (not easy or likely from what I read!)... I got them from Drs.Foster Smith and was pretty impressed with the process and packing. The fish were in good shape and set them up with what I thought would be a good tank for them. 20 Long, some driftwood, spawning grass( plastic) and Live pothos.. rooted into the water. They did great and I don't think I lost one of the 20 I got... in the mix are 4 males, and 16 females. A decent ratio for breeding. Temp at about 73 F and tap water. I have yet to see any fry though, swollen bellies, but zippo on the fry.. I'm thinking they are just eating the fry. I had wanted to breed these and add some to my patio container waterfall and a 125 gal frog pond I have. I know if I throw them in it they will probably breed on their own but I wanted to have a hand in it.

IMGP3123

IMGP3128

IMGP3129_01

IMGP3131

Anyone here breed these in a tank before? I figured they'd be like guppies but I find them much more aggressive and challenging..but an interesting fish.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Do YOU LIKE SIMPLYDISCUS?? Please help Support it today, so its here tomorrow .. DONATE HERE Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

SimplyDiscus, where the cool fish swim...

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Default Re: Mosquito Fish.... Pics and questions!

Heres the tank itself...
    2018-05-10 12.16.13.jpg
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Do YOU LIKE SIMPLYDISCUS?? Please help Support it today, so its here tomorrow .. DONATE HERE Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

iTrader
    4 (100%)

I used to keep a colony of the melanistic strain in the yard, but decided I'd rather not have to take care of them during the summer months. I think it's impossible to kill the things by means of temperature.

Try cranking the heat up to 80-84F and toss in a pile of garland or yarn. Gambusia males are extremely "active," so you can be almost positive the females are dropping.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Yarn? Now theres an idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks Adam, I will give it a try.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

iTrader
    3 (100%)
    Real Name
    Steve

Hi Al,
    I tried crossing Gambusia with guppies a few years ago. I thought I would get robust fry with a lot of hybrid vigor. Instead, the fry were weak and frail. A few made it to adulthood but I never got any offspring from them. I later read that mosquito fish and guppy hybrids are usually sterile. Moral of the story, it's probably a waste of time trying to cross breed them.

Adam is correct, you need lots of dense cover for the fry to survive being eaten.
    Last edited by smsimcik; 05-11-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Hi Al,
    I tried crossing Gambusia with guppies a few years ago. I thought I would get robust fry with a lot of hybrid vigor. Instead, the fry were weak and frail. A few made it to adulthood but I never got any offspring from them. I later read that mosquito fish and guppy hybrids are usually sterile. Moral of the story, it's probably a waste of time trying to cross breed them.

Adam is correct, you need lots of dense cover for the fry to survive being eaten.
    Thanks Steve,
    Yep I read that too and thought as you did about the robust fry I may get. Its probably a waste to try. I did try with some endlers I got from Adam.They have been prolific so I took a group of 3 extra male endlers and added them to a tank of 6 female Gambusia.The endlers chased them around but then I noticed the females chasing the males.... the males soon disappeared.

Im thinking the only way to succeed with enders would be 1 female Gambusia plus 4-5 endler males and then remove the males before the female is too harrassed.

ah well..maybe after I get Gambusia fry.and have virgin females to cross out.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

iTrader
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    The endlers chased them around but then I noticed the females chasing the males.... the males soon disappeared.
    Well.... they shouldn't start something they can't finish.

When crossing swords/platys/variatus, you usually use the youngest females of the bigger species. Sounds like you're on the right track.