AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How would you breed GLSS'?

Registered Member

Default How would you breed GLSS'?

So I'm curious does anyone know what strains of discus you would need to be able to get some GLSS out of?? I'm sure the potential of getting this mutation will probably only be around 10% if not less of the fry but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has any info. I've heard it's insanely rare to find a male GLSS and thought it'd be a neat potential project to try and breed some GLSS and see if a male comes out or not.

Default Re: How would you breed GLSS'?

There was a discussion about GLSS here years and years ago. Nobody could figure out to produce the strain. Everyone knew that males were almost unheard of. This is as far as they got. I kind of think that it's one of those secrets that the breeders in Asia don't want to share with the world. I hope you have better luck than others who have tried.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Interesting. The closest to an answer I've found was a random reply in that thread (I'm assuming I found the thread you're talking about cause it was just mainly a lot of back and forth about PB being in a GLSS) but one mentioned that you could cross a Pure Gold x Leopard SS? Any truth to this answer by any chance?

I can't believe that you found the thread. Neither can I believe that I remembered it from that long ago.

Back then Golds were a newish thing and most showed traces of PB although the importers maintained that they had no PB. I think that the PB is far enough of the background of Golds these days that it is almost not there at all. I know nothing but I've been around for a while. Pure Gold to LSS feel right.

You are on a very hard quest. I wish you the best and hope that someone who knows more that I shows up to help you.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

What's a GLSS? Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Steve

Golden Leopard Snakeskin, as in the gene mutation called "golden" not just coloring.

If anyone can figure out how to do this it is Willie.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Any information would be fantastic I've been scouring the internet with very little luck. Im sure someone's holding some info in their head haha

Real Name
    Willie

I don't have any facts, but my suspicion is that red spotted greens are involved.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I too am wondering if they fit into this as well. Not sure where they would be placed in the genetic line up though.

If you could maybe answer this question too. What would you all consider to be the most pure gold strain to be? golden crystal? Been looking and haven't really found a "pure gold" if anyone has any pictures or names of such a type that would be greatly appreciated