AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Wound from Darting. HELP!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Default Discus Wound from Darting. HELP!

Hi all,

So i have a group of 9 healthy Red Turqs (Stendker), but as i went to show a friend my fish, they started darting around the aquarium and must have hit something. Now they are hiding, and from what i can see at least one of them has a head wound. It is a wound from about 2-3 mm across and it appears white. Apart from the wound and them hiding, they seem fine.

HOWEVER, i do not want this to esclate since the wounded fish is my favourite one If it gets infected and it dies it would really be a blow. So i heard some people say adding salt is good. I have Epsom and keltic sea salt in my cabinet, will this do? and if so, how much? Furthmore i also have some "eSHa 2000", should i use this?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Default Re: Discus Wound from Darting. HELP!

HI Tim.
    Most wounds like this heal fine with no more than clean water.. What would help is a few pictures. Sometimes, a wound may get infected and a swab with hydrogen peroixde or iodine can help. Salt (sodium chloride) can help with stress but I would not add it just yet, and epsom would be used for constipation not a wound.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tim

Tim,
    That doesnt look like a wound from swimming into something.It looks more like an infected pore. Discus have pits that sometimes get infected. Think "pimple" . These often rupture on their own and leave a small pit that often heals fine. Yours looks about ready. You may want to net the fish and swab that.
    info is here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...dine-H2O2-etc)

even if its an infected scrap it would benefit from swabbing by the looks of.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Did his head wound heal OK?

I've often seen scrapes from the driftwood on the sides of my discus after I've been in the tank rescaping/water changing/generally messing with the tank. 24h later they are invariably healed or well and truly on the way to being healed. At least initially a wait and see attitude to a scrape can be beneficial as opposed to overreacting and treating straight away. I certainly prefer not to have salt rubbed into minor skin abrasions if it is going to heal just fine on its own.