AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long have you been keeping Discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: How long have you been keeping Discus?

I have been keeping discus since early 1990’s. I started with red turquoise fish from a local petstore. Few months later, I had the opportunity to buy about 20 fish from Jack Wattley himself. I remember going to his warehouse in Miami Florida (Gabe Posada) helped at the time.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I started with a 18" tank with a biowheel HOB filter in ~1999, it contained an angel, two blue turqs, a baja shark, a bristlenose... surprisingly they survived. Upgraded to a 3' tank in 2001 which had the two blue turqs, a red melon, red alenquer, cardinals, bristlenose, pearl gourami, dwarf gourami and baja shark. Finally got a 5x2x2 tank in 2004 until I left Australia for the USA in 2007. 10 discus cardinals and bristlenose. When I finally left the original blue turq had to euthanized as no one wanted the hassle of a 8 year old fish. The rest were given away to LFS for display tanks and perished shortly thereafter

Moved to the states and grad school income/freetime meant that a tank wasn't an option. Come 2016 I bought a house and a top priority was a display tank.
    I think over my time I've only lost 2 or 3 discus, one jumper and two from a botched tank transfer.

17 years. When I started keeping them you could find nice discus locally from a LFS called Capital Aquarium in Sacramento, Ca. Great fish-store. They closed many years ago, sadly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12