ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Obvious Question on Sponge Filters?

Real Name
    Rob

Default Obvious Question on Sponge Filters?

Hi everyone,

Every video I watch on discus, pretty much, and especially breeders, have sponge filters running in each tank. I get the simplicity, it makes a lot of sense. I'm just curious, having never noticed them before researching my first discus tank attempt, how do you cycle a new tank, with a new sponge filter? Same as any other method of filtration, or is there a knack? Bare in mind I have no existing, mature media for seeding, so this is right from the top. Or bottom

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Obvious Question on Sponge Filters?

Exactly the same way. Or you could just check with your local hobbyist community and see if anyone else has a sponge. Here in the Twin Cities, I offer seeded sponges to any hobbyist free of charge.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Rob

Default Re: Obvious Question on Sponge Filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Exactly the same way. Or you could just check with your local hobbyist community and see if anyone else has a sponge. Here in the Twin Cities, I offer seeded sponges to any hobbyist free of charge.

Willie
    Hi Willie, thanks for the response

I've posted a request for mature media on a UK forum, but no offers as yet. I also tried my LFS, and they gave me some bacteria balls, which I think is the same as putting Seachems Stability in there?

If nothing comes up I'll just have to follow the HH ammonia route, which is fine I guess. As a first timer, I'm just bursting with the excitement of seeing my discus swimming around, but want to do things right.

Thanks again, Rob