AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My favorite Discus

Default My favorite Discus

This is a home bred fish. It's still young. I'm hoping female but who knows? The fish is a cross between a domestic RSG and a Blue Scorpion. I like this fish. It's a fine line blue snake skin and as it matures the pattern is starting to break up into tiny little red spots.

I can fault this fish but I also know that I could be blind. Have plans to breed to a Classic Blue based Leopard which I have yet to purchase.

Honest critical opinions of the fish are most welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Julian

Default Re: My favorite Discus

Liz
    She is a beauty, although no one knows for certain, is just a gut feeling , and the fact of not humps on the fore head, round it dorsal fin, etc. I like the pattern, sort of a penang eruption with some blue also, just IMHO.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Liz, "she" is a really nice looking fish.I really like those bright red eyes. I also like pattern on the gills and how spotty the pattern is.Crossing to a leopard should make for some nice offspring. For your purpose of breeding I cant find any fault to the fish that would concern me. The only feature that it has that could be considered weak is the mouth region.... it could be rounder (and I could be taller) but its not something that would keep me from breeding it.
    I do hope its a female that gives you many eggs and fry.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

The beakiness is what jumps out at me too, Al. I'm aware of it but I can deal with it given all the fish's good points. I hope she is a female as well. I feel that she is but feelings are often wrong. Her choice of husbands will be arriving in the country toward the end of this month.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

WOW! What a gorgeous fish Liz,
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Thanks Barb. I hope to breed to a fish of this strain https://chicagodiscus.com/wp-content...3/IMG_2045.jpg Josie and Miranda weren't planning on getting any in but when I called and spoke to Miranda she said that they were just making up an order and would do their best to get some good ones in for me to choose from.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Liz, this is a totally gorgeous discus and hope it does you proud in the future. Since it is not mature yet is there a chance the mouth/chin region could round up?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

My feeling is that it will either stay the same or become more pronounced as it ages but I don't know for sure. Someone like Nicholson or Willie would be likely to know for sure.

I'm glad you like it as much as I do, Pat. I think that it's strongest point is in it's balance between the top and bottom halves of the fish. I like that the tail is well placed and the couduncle or what ever it is called is not too long. I could go on but I would seem to be bragging. The truth is that I've been breeding Discus for over 15 years and this is the fish the best I have ever produced. What blows me a way is that this one fish is the result of what was otherwise a total disaster.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 05-13-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    Mama Bear

Forgive me but I am obsessed. I was not satisfied with that picture so I took another that is better. I wish a real big deal Discus judge would evaluate this fish for me. I wish Larry Matencheck were still here. Of course, it is Sunday, and more that that it's Mother's day. I must have patience...Hopefully, the smart guys will show up.

I know that this fish is in my tank and it's stupid that it takes me having to snap a pic to understand it's faults. All I knew was that the front of the fish was wrong. This picture tells me exactly what is wrong. The dent above the nose is there. It's a fault. No big dig deal...The line from the the mouth the where the body starts is perfect. The big huge thing that would prevent this fish from ever dreaming of ever becoming a show fish is that ugly heavy chin. Neither of the parents had that. I have heard that it can be caused by over feeding when the fish is young. If that's the case, I'm guilty.

Regardless of the disgusting chin this is still the best fish I have ever bred.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Sweet looking fish, Liz. I love the pattern and coloration. For a young fish like this, I don't think it's particularly beaky. Let's see how it grows at the 2020 NADA!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I was writing my post as you were complimented my fish. I know that it's a good fish but that chin ruins everything and it will not get any better as the fish matures. On the other hand, the fish would be the right age to show in 2020.

Now I'm feeling bad about not going to NADA this year. Oh well...
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I was writing my post as you were complimented my fish. I know that it's a good fish but that chin ruins everything and it will not get any better as the fish matures. On the other hand, the fish would be the right age to show in 2020.

Now I'm feeling bad about not going to NADA this year. Oh well...
    Is it really too late?
    Pat

It's too late, Pat. I have weighed it in my mind many times and not going always wins. This will be the first Convention I have ever missed. I won't get to see friends who I never see except for there. Oh well...
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It's too late, Pat. I have weighed it in my mind many times and not going always wins. This will be the first Convention I have ever missed. I won't get to see friends who I never see except for there. Oh well...
    One of my favorite sayings Liz is "Never say never".
    Pat

I don't know how many times I've said that when it comes to Discus related things.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast