AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My favorite Discus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: My favorite Discus

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I don't know how many times I've said that when it comes to Discus related things.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

A real outstanding discus Liz ! The Penang Eruption style body dotting/pattern always makes my heart skip a beat.

Very sorry to hear I won't get to meet you at July NADA, Liz - I was truly looking forward to getting to know you better.
    I say this with fingers crossed that my health doesn't give me a bad turn, so I can be there this time.

Maybe the 'never say never' could be a positive occurrence for you, and you could appear at the show.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

This is a home bred fish. It's still young. I'm hoping female but who knows? The fish is a cross between a domestic RSG and a Blue Scorpion. I like this fish. It's a fine line blue snake skin and as it matures the pattern is starting to break up into tiny little red spots.

I can fault this fish but I also know that I could be blind. Have plans to breed to a Classic Blue based Leopard which I have yet to purchase.

Honest critical opinions of the fish are most welcome.
    What a beauty Liz!

I hope its a she for you and that you accomplish all that you have in mind. Apart from its gorgouse patterns and colouration which im sure will be highlighted more as she matures, i love her full round body shape, and bright red eye...not to mention that full belly.
    I'm by no means an expert but can pick a nice fish when i see one.

Good luck!
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Thank you, Joe.
    Mama Bear

Nice visiting this old thread of mine again. I never stumble upon my old threads. I got to evaluate the fish with new eyes.

Show me a Discus that doesn't come with a weak chin. They're rare. All the fish in my home bred line have that weak chin fault to some degree.

The fish in the pic was still young so her pattern was not yet fully developed. I love the discrete red spots on the blue base (the pic is deceiving with color). I am proud to get spots on my gill plates, too. As far as color and pattern there is one thing that every single one lacks. You can see it starting in the fish in the picture. It gets worse as the fish grows. On the body just above the ventral the lovely spots are not there. It's just a plain blue patch. I can live with it, but still...
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

This is about as close as I can get. A couple of homemade's from years past that never made it to adulthood thanks to Won Bro's...

6-26-05 013.jpg

And my big BD

solids 007.jpg

The fish in the foreground of the first pic could have been the start of something great. I know how it hurts to loose fish with potential.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Edit: Did not realize it was an old post.

Forgive me but I am obsessed. I was not satisfied with that picture so I took another that is better. I wish a real big deal Discus judge would evaluate this fish for me. I wish Larry Matencheck were still here. Of course, it is Sunday, and more that that it's Mother's day. I must have patience...Hopefully, the smart guys will show up.

I know that this fish is in my tank and it's stupid that it takes me having to snap a pic to understand it's faults. All I knew was that the front of the fish was wrong. This picture tells me exactly what is wrong. The dent above the nose is there. It's a fault. No big dig deal...The line from the the mouth the where the body starts is perfect. The big huge thing that would prevent this fish from ever dreaming of ever becoming a show fish is that ugly heavy chin. Neither of the parents had that. I have heard that it can be caused by over feeding when the fish is young. If that's the case, I'm guilty.

Regardless of the disgusting chin this is still the best fish I have ever bred.
    Liz could you go into a little more detail as to what your calling beakiness

Thanks Jeanne

When the chin is weak and there's a dent above the mouth on top we call it a beak.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12