ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel's 75 G + 20 G sump DISCUS TANK

Registered Member

Default Daniel's 75 G + 20 G sump DISCUS TANK

Dear All

I am new to the Discus community and have been reading the post for a couple of weeks and I have to say that I have learn a lot. Today I decided to introduce my new Discus Tank. Briefly I would like to say that I have had fish since I remember (~ 4 years old) but during the last 20years I have been fully dedicated, with some in and out of the hobby to marine aquariums. My wife was always for freshwater and we both together share the passion of this hobby.

My wife has today a very successful 42 G Angel fish tank with 7 Angel fish. Among them there are 2 pairs that have been laying eggs during the last year. That means their conditions are good.

We have been discussing the idea of setting up a Discus Tank for some months. I decided to close a 50 G reef tank and just keep my 65 G SPS reef tank. 2 reef tanks were a lot of work. So here we go. What do we do with this 50G tank. "Lets do it a discus tank ", we said to each other. And the bug for these fish was born.

Last time I saw a Discus fish, more than 20 years ago, in a small aquarium was a just grey/silver flat fish. Nothing fascinating about it. Now I discover that they are an explosion of colors and I was fascinated with them. My wife couldn't stop me.

I set-up the 50 G tank, cycled it and got my first 6 Discus. After watching them for 2 days, I came to realize that the 50 G tank was not good because it is a cube tank (~ 24 x 24 x 24 inches). It was good for a reef tank, but the Discus were not comfortable in that space. So we upgraded to the 75 G + 20 G sump.

Pictures are better than 1000 words. So here we go.

First, my 65 G reef Tank (this will be the only picture of it on this thread)

An here is the DISCUS TANK

As I do not know yet how many pictures I can post per posting, I will continue with the tank details in a new posting.

Registered Member

Default Re: Daniel's 75 G + 20 G sump DISCUS TANK

Tank Details:

20 G sump

Sump has 2 Hamburg Filters. In between you can see media bags with Seachem Matrix. I also added a media reactor filled with Siporax. All these to growth aerobic and anaerobic bacterias.

Lighting : 2 Finnex Monster Ray LED to enhance the Discus colors, 1 Current USA fresh water LED with Sunrise and Sunset, 1 Fluval Aquasky LED. 1 Pink trulumen 12 " strip with dimmer as moonlight.

Reef Keeper Lite systems (2), to control all the lights, heaters and check constantly PH . You do not need 2, one can control all, but I had them. I used in my reef tanks. If anyone would like to know how these toys control the tank Temp (protection to heaters failure and cooking the discus), measure PH and control lighting, please let me know.

Tank is BB, but to avoid Discus darkening (that I had in the first 48 hours ) I added a clear Styrofoam sheet underneath the tank (see picture). After I added it, the blue and purple discus recovered their color in 24 hours....amazing. the guys were seeing the black Wood bottom.

Sump has 2 250 W heaters.

I have well water and PH is,~ 7.6, Alk 4 dkh. Tank is at 83 Fischer.

20-30 % water change once a week. No water aging.

Any comments will be welcome !!!

Daniel

Real Name
    Dominic

Your reef tank is an absolute beauty! I just got a 90 gallon tank the other day that's empty, buy my plans are to make it into a reef!
    My Aquatic Science teacher gave me the nickname "Fish Whisperer" and I didn't get it for nothing!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DomiDiscus View Post
    Your reef tank is an absolute beauty! I just got a 90 gallon tank the other day that's empty, buy my plans are to make it into a reef!
    Thank you very much for the compliments. If you want to read more about my reef Tank here is the link.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2522791

I have posted details of the Discus Tank with pictures, but it is now for review by the moderators. That is probably because I am new. Is understandable. So stay tune.

Best!
    Daniel

Real Name
    Phil

Daniel,

First and foremost welcome!! Looks like you jumped head first into this hobby and are off to a nice start... Love what I see so far...

You really need to up that water change though... the % you are doing now and once a week will not cut it for these fish. You are lightly stocked now so it could work for a while but I think you will start to see ill effects down the road at this rate of change.

Have the fish been doing ok in straight treated tap water?

Do you plan to add more to the tank?

How has it been vacuuming the bottom... As you went "bare bottom" yet the bottom seems a tad cluttered and like there will be some hard to get areas... Make sure you move all that around to siphon all you can from the crevices.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Daniel,

First and foremost welcome!! Looks like you jumped head first into this hobby and are off to a nice start... Love what I see so far...

You really need to up that water change though... the % you are doing now and once a week will not cut it for these fish. You are lightly stocked now so it could work for a while but I think you will start to see ill effects down the road at this rate of change.

Have the fish been doing ok in straight treated tap water?

Do you plan to add more to the tank?

How has it been vacuuming the bottom... As you went "bare bottom" yet the bottom seems a tad cluttered and like there will be some hard to get areas... Make sure you move all that around to siphon all you can from the crevices.
    Thank you for the nice comments. Yes !!! As soon as I saw those Discus I jumped right into this new phase in my life. Still the reef Tank is there.

I had for 3 weeks the 50G tank cycling with the Matrix and Siporax. Then I got the Discus. 3 from Discus Hans and 3 from a LFS. It was compulsive buying the 3 discus from the LFS. When it was done, I read about posible cross contamination issues concerning some fish disease. But it was done. I touch Wood and after a week of being together all is OK. I have ordered 4 more from Discus Hans and I will stay with him. I plan a total of 10 Discus.

After 2 days I realized the 50 G cube tank wasn't good for the swimming behavior of Discus. So last Friday I setup the 75 G with the sump. I moved all to that tank. No need for a new cycle. Next week end will be my first WC.

Why I am explaining those details ? Well, after I got the Stenked Discus, I read a brochure that came with the fish. Then I visit the German Internet site. I discover that they have all the info that any new discus keeper needs. By that time I had already read the info for newbies at Simplediscus too.

Now I am confused. Stendker Discus states that a planted discus tank is not a problem at all if you keep your housekeeping. Meaning a good filtration system (Hamburg Matt Filter) that they haven't clean in 27 years unless it is blocked by sludge AND to do "20-30 % weekly WC".

I have been reading lots of postings suggestin daily or every other day water changes in the order of around 50%. I found that understandable if you have a poor filtration system. No doubt about it. But when you are fully loaded with stuff that grows bacteria (my case " Siporax, Matrix, Hamburg matt filter (2)) ,.........Do you think I still need more frequent water changes ? What I am missing here ?

After expending my last 3 years growing SPS Corals (Acropora) where the conditions for water quality are stricter than for Discus, I found some of the info confusing. In my reef Tank I never did more than a weekly WC , unless I have something out of control (i.e, excess feeding leading to an increase in Phosphate and Nitrates)

To wrap my comments:

- My tank parameters are within the ones suggested by Stendker Discus. I will be measuring P4 and NO3 this weekend. The water is almost brand new yet (95% from late Friday tank setup and 5% from the cycled tank).

- I will follow Stendker suggestion with a continue control of tank parameters and 20-30 % weekly WC.

I have been seeding every week bacterias (Pobidio Biodigest).

Concerning cleaning the bottom. You are correct. It is BB but with many stuff there. Yes I will be moving the stuff a little to vacuum and then I have a pump to take the rest of the water.

Again, thank you for the comments. They are all always welcome !!!. It is the only way of learning !!!

Daniel
    Last edited by DanDiscus; 08-16-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDiscus View Post
    Thank you for the nice comments. Yes !!! As soon as I saw those Discus I jumped right into this new phase in my life. Still the reef Tank is there.

I had for 3 weeks the 50G tank cycling with the Matrix and Siporax. Then I got the Discus. 3 from Discus Hans and 3 from a LFS. It was compulsive buying the 3 discus from the LFS. When it was done, I read about posible cross contamination issues concerning some fish disease. But it was done. I touch Wood and after a week of being together all is OK. I have ordered 4 more from Discus Hans and I will stay with him. I plan a total of 10 Discus.

After 2 days I realized the 50 G cube tank wasn't good for the swimming behavior of Discus. So last Friday I setup the 75 G with the sump. I moved all to that tank. No need for a new cycle. Next week end will be my first WC.

Why I am explaining those details ? Well, after I got the Stenked Discus, I read a brochure that came with the fish. Then I visit the German Internet site. I discover that they have all the info that any new discus keeper needs. By that time I had already read the info for newbies at Simplediscus too.

Now I am confused. Stendker Discus states that a planted discus tank is not a problem at all if you keep your housekeeping. Meaning a good filtration system (Hamburg Matt Filter) that they haven't clean in 27 years unless it is blocked by sludge AND to do "20-30 % weekly WC".

I have been reading lots of postings suggestin daily or every other day water changes in the order of around 50%. I found that understandable if you have a poor filtration system. No doubt about it. But when you are fully loaded with stuff that grows bacteria (my case " Siporax, Matrix, Hamburg matt filter (2)) ,.........Do you think I still need more frequent water changes ? What I am missing here ?

After expending my last 3 years growing SPS Corals (Acropora) where the conditions for water quality are stricter than for Discus, I found some of the info confusing. In my reef Tank I never did more than a weekly WC , unless I have something out of control (i.e, excess feeding leading to an increase in Phosphate and Nitrates)

To wrap my comments:

- My tank parameters are within the ones suggested by Stendker Discus. I will be measuring P4 and NO3 this weekend. The water is almost brand new yet (95% from late Friday tank setup and 5% from the cycled tank).

- I will follow Stendker suggestion with a continue control of tank parameters and 20-30 % weekly WC.

I have been seeding every week bacterias (Pobidio Biodigest).

Concerning cleaning the bottom. You are correct. It is BB but with many stuff there. Yes I will be moving the stuff a little to vacuum and then I have a pump to take the rest of the water.

Again, thank you for the comments. They are all always welcome !!!. It is the only way of learning !!!

Daniel
    It will all depend on your expectations of your end result. Some of us are satisfied with having happy healthy discus without the expectation of ending up with 'text book" fish. For me having nice shape, color and pattern in a nice looking display tank is satisfactory. I know that they won't be the monster 7"-8" discus you may see photos of.

With that said I started with 6 3.5"-4" fish in a moderate to heavily planted tank. After a couple months I noticed 3 of the six were much smaller and potentially stunted. I then removed a large number of the plants. Soon after I changed my whole scape. I noticed a big difference in fish behavior with much more room to swim. Very quickly noticed more growth, better shape and better color from the smaller ones. It's quite evident in the results how the improper setup had effect on the fish even though I was changing water often.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    It will all depend on your expectations of your end result. Some of us are satisfied with having happy healthy discus without the expectation of ending up with 'text book" fish. For me having nice shape, color and pattern in a nice looking display tank is satisfactory. I know that they won't be the monster 7"-8" discus you may see photos of.

With that said I started with 6 3.5"-4" fish in a moderate to heavily planted tank. After a couple months I noticed 3 of the six were much smaller and potentially stunted. I then removed a large number of the plants. Soon after I changed my whole scape. I noticed a big difference in fish behavior with much more room to swim. Very quickly noticed more growth, better shape and better color from the smaller ones. It's quite evident in the results how the improper setup had effect on the fish even though I was changing water often.
    Thank you !!!

Very nice observation. I will remember it and will keep an eye on the tank thinking in what happened in your tank. My tank set-up decor can be changed in a blink of an eye.

I was debating between a BB tank with just driftwood, to give some decor and hiding places or with what I did. I decided to have the plants because they play a crucial role on Phosphate reduction. In other words "nutrient export". It has to bee much difficult to control nutrients in a plain BB tank. Then I understand the more frequent WC.

My goal is exactly as yours. A healthy, nice looking discus tank with active and healthy fish....enough for me.

A short video:

https://youtu.be/SQeT3_Iv2wE
    Last edited by DanDiscus; 08-16-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Thank you !!!

Very nice observation. I will remember it and will keep an eye on the tank thinking in what happened in your tank.

I was debating between a BB tank with just driftwood, to give some decor and hiding places or with what I did. I decided to have the plants because they play a crucial role on Phosphate reduction. In other words "nutrient export". It has to bee much difficult to control nutrients in a plain BB tank. Then I understand the more frequent WC.

My goal is exactly as yours. A healthy, nice looking discus tank with active and healthy fish....enough for me.

A short video:

https://youtu.be/SQeT3_Iv2wE
    I think your tank looks very nice but IMHO it looks to be crowded. Just observation from pics although depth is tough to tell. Take it for what ya worth from someone who is also learning as I go.

Open space on the bottom is good as discus like to bottom feed and graze leftovers.

I went from my tank having lots of plants and driftwood to now having 2 red flame swords and some anubias attached to seiryu stone. The majority of the tank is open space for the discus with the wood being at the very rear along with rocks and plants.

I initially thought a large plant load would help with water quality but quickly found they trap a lot of debris. Having yours in pots will definitely help.

Don't want to hijack your thread with my photos so here's a link showing my recent transformation.

It's amazing how the results with the fish are almost instantanious.

Last page of the thread shows the end result.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ferrerid=80196
    Last edited by Ryan925; 08-16-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I think your tank looks very nice but IMHO it looks to be crowded. Just observation from pics although depth is tough to tell. Take it for what ya worth from someone who is also learning as I go.

Open space on the bottom is good as discus like to bottom feed and graze leftovers.

I went from my tank having lots of plants and driftwood to now having 2 red flame swords and some anubias attached to seiryu stone. The majority of the tank is open space for the discus with the wood being at the very rear along with rocks and plants.

I initially thought a large plant load would help with water quality but quickly found they trap a lot of debris. Having yours in pots will definitely help.

Don't want to hijack your thread with my photos so here's a link showing my recent transformation.

It's amazing how the results with the fish are almost instantanious.

Last page of the thread shows the end result.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ferrerid=80196
    Your tank is amazing . I remember reading part of your thread. But I haven't seen the last pictures with the sand change. Is amazing how the Discus nervous system manage the change of color in relation with the environment.

I setup my tank last Friday. On Sunday the Turquoise and blue discus were very dark. I panic, thinking that I screwed it and they have some issue. Nevertheless, they were swimming and eating normal. In my panic, I searched Internet and found that Darkening can be due to the substrate color. Immediately I added clear Styrofoam covering the tank bottom , from inside the stand. Today, after 48 hours the 2 discus recovered they color and the other are brighter.

Nice pictures in your thread !!!!

Thank you
    Daniel

Your tank is amazing . I remember reading part of your thread. But I haven't seen the last pictures with the sand change. Is amazing how the Discus nervous system manage the change of color in relation with the environment.

I setup my tank last Friday. On Sunday the Turquoise and blue discus were very dark. I panic, thinking that I screwed it and they have some issue. Nevertheless, they were swimming and eating normal. In my panic, I searched Internet and found that Darkening can be due to the substrate color. Immediately I added clear Styrofoam covering the tank bottom , from inside the stand. Today, after 48 hours the 2 discus recovered they color and the other are brighter.

Nice pictures in your thread !!!!

Thank you
    Daniel
    Thanks Dan. I look forward to seeing your progress. Best if luck

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

First, very nice tank you have to start off with. Just some positive advise, before you order anymore fish, wait awhile to see how this mixed group turns out. It's take about four to six weeks to see if any problems arises with the fish from Hans and LFS. I mixed Asian and German fish a year ago and as of today none are around to talk about. Also in the future don't forget to QT all new stock. I just like to see your transition from salt water fish to discus to be a happy one. Keep reading all the info you can, and enjoy the hobby. Welcome to SD.

Registered Member

Week 1 of the new tank have passed and all is still OK.... touch Wood!

I wanted to update some changes I have done in the sump.

I have moved my 2 Hamburg matt filters against the return pump. Also placed around the return pump the media bags with 4 liters of Seachem Matrix (can be seen in pictures, left side of the sump).

With that rearrangement I have all the left side of the Hamburg matt filters open. I added a LED light I had from a previous reef Tank and filled the area with small pots with plants recommended by Stendker Discus site. I still need to add 6 more small planted pots.

To the left corner I added a 200 micron filter sock.

This weekend I vacuumed the tank and did a 50% water change.

pH 7.5 and temp 86 F.

This week 5 more 4" Stendker Discus are arriving. Those will be the last ones to be added.

Plus I also have the Media Reactor (left) full of Siporax.

I plants, Matrix and Siporax will be crucial on P4 and NO3 export. The Hamburg matt filter will be involved in that too and in keeping the nitrogen cycle ongoing.

Best
    Daniel

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    First, very nice tank you have to start off with. Just some positive advise, before you order anymore fish, wait awhile to see how this mixed group turns out. It's take about four to six weeks to see if any problems arises with the fish from Hans and LFS. I mixed Asian and German fish a year ago and as of today none are around to talk about. Also in the future don't forget to QT all new stock. I just like to see your transition from salt water fish to discus to be a happy one. Keep reading all the info you can, and enjoy the hobby. Welcome to SD.
    Thank you very much for your comments. Fish were already ordered.

There will not be any more additions and I will keep my fingers crossed.

Daniel

Real Name
    Filip

Welcome to discus and to forum Daniel.
    The biggest problem that any experienced aquarist but novice discus keeper like your self has IMHO is that he is well thought to completely rely on NO3 and PO4 .
    The problem is that discus are more concerned with the unmeasurable parameters of the water such as bacteria , parasite , viruses , flaggelates, and many other heterotrophic organisms that live in our tanks unnoticed .
    That's why simply its not enough if you keep your No3 low but you have to keep the environment very clean and water frequently changed.

Info. on the Stendker site about the stocking numbers and the WC ing routine are way to optimistic for the real world and IMO are made to serve the main purpose , and that coming from the sellers perspective is profits , offcourse.

I guess your 2 larger turquoise discus are the ones from the LFS. They look very emaciated and not in good shape , so beware of cross-contamination and wait just a little more before you order some other discus here.Problems may still arise.

Much more and larger WCs along with a frequent tank and filter cleaning and a max. number of 8 discus would be a great start for you IMHO.
    Last edited by Filip; 08-21-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast