ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I give up!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Melissa

Default Re: I give up!

Ok, so I was a very bad girl and bought another discus on impulse after going to Petco and falling in love with this little guy (only 2 inches) who would not stop staring at me... However, I put him (or her) in a separate tank. So anyways, I was very hopeful for my other discus after the first water change (50%) not using the hose... but that ended quickly once I saw them the next morning and noticed that one of them (the light colored one in the photos I posted) all of a sudden appeared to have a fungal infection (small white fluffy "tuft" on its body). I treated the tank with Pimafix, as I did not feel comfortable going with anything stronger at that point since they were all so fragile. Meanwhile, the new little guy looked healthy as can be.

I did another 50% water change the next day (on both tanks). The next morning, I found one discus dead. And again, it was one of the ones who were NOT showing the obvious signs of illness that the 2 in the photos I posted had, and had not shown any signs of a fungal infection the previous day. THEN I noticed that my new little guy in the separate tank ALSO appeared to have a fungal infection (white patch)! I then realized that I may have cross-contaminated these tanks, and the little one may have had a fungal infection from the start that was not noticeable. I cursed myself out, then went ROGUE and decided to "spot treat" the little one (who like I said, I am in LOVE with) with Pimafix after watching a video on YouTube. Surprisingly, the little guy tolerated this well, and looked much better IMMEDIATELY after doing this...

I was so extremely busy the next day and did not have time for a water change, however, the day after that, all discus were alive. I actually started wondering if the water changes were what was killing my fish, as I never had fish die on the days I DIDN'T do a water change! Anyways, the 2 original surviving discus did not appear any better... The blue one (from the photo I posted) was barely hanging on to life and the other one was extremely dark. Meanwhile, my little guy did look better! Fungus symptoms were minimal, and he was swimming around (appearingly happy) still staring at me like the day he did at Petco. I did another 50% water change on both tanks, then on a desperate whim, decided to switch the little guy and the blue "dead fish swimming" (dead man walking) so that the blue one was in the "isolation tank" and the little guy in the big tank. I did this because I felt like the blue one's time was numbered, and because I believe the tanks were already cross-contaminated, so whatever... I thought maybe the healthy little guy would have a positive effect on the dark discus, as opposed to the blue one, who was gasping at the surface....

So here we are to today... The blue one SOMEHOW is still alive, but barely hanging on. Little guy looks amazing. I don't see any signs of a fungal infection anymore. The other one (in the same tank as little guy) was still dark, not looking well. I decided to put him in the "isolation tank" with the blue one. At this point, I want to keep my little guy healthy, and he is the only one who appears to have a chance. Actually, little guy seems very healthy at this point, and I do believe he will make it.

So at the end of the day, I feel as though I cannot go through with buying any more discus, because I cannot go through this stress anymore... Like I said, I ruined 2 faucets... washing dishes from the bathroom sink... And my new faucet of choice is in the basement and while using my RO filter, I got distracted not once, but twice, and forgot to check on it... resulting in TWO floods!!! I had to go out and buy a shop-vac and high velocity fan to repair the damage... Meanwhile, my children have accused me of loving my fish more than them and my husband thinks I'm mentally insane... So for now, no more discus... Like I said, little guy is doing very well, however, I know that discus do not fare well on their own. I am honestly just waiting for my "dead fish walking" to kick the bucket.... I do not believe that any interventions can save them at this point, at least not the blue one... We will see what happens with the other one, but I do not believe the outlook is good at this point.

So I'm not sure as to how to move forward with this. I don't want the little guy to be alone, but I cannot go through with buying more discus only to watch them die...

Registered Member

How much dechlorinator are you using? And which one? It definitely sounds like something in your water or procedure is causing the issues. How fast are you refilling?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Melissa

I am using Seachem Prime as directed on the label. Not sure what you mean by how fast am I refilling?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mellysalz View Post
    I am using Seachem Prime as directed on the label. Not sure what you mean by how fast am I refilling?
    Are you dosing for the whole tank or just the amount replaced? After you drain the water, how do you refill it and how long does it take?

I have a timer turn my pump on for 1 minute every 10 minutes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Melissa

The blue one died several hours after my last post. The dark one is still dark, but doesn't look any worse... The little guy appears to be thriving actually (dare I say). And I have not done anything different with him... plus he's a measley 2 inches! So I am very surprised at how well he is doing right now, even though my larger discus twice his size (which I would think would be more hardier) keep dying... If I have been able to keep the little guy alive (and thriving!) without changing anything about what I do, then why are the others dying?

To answer your question, Megalodon: I only dose the amount replaced, but I am usually a bit generous since it's being added to a larger amount of water. As far as how long it takes to refill, I first make sure I have enough water ready to replace the water I take out. Then it's just a matter of how quickly I dump the water in, which doesn't take very long.

To answer the question of why RO water... I have very hard water where I live, so I felt it was best to use RO water.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Melissa, I am beginning to think that your original fish came with something. When did you get them?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

i think bacterial problem and fungus what you say, my advice make treatment 7 days with with methylene blue dose 20ml for 100 litres

Melissa,
    Im sorry that this was not a great adventure for you. I suspect you had a bunch of stuff going on that contributed to this. Much of it was probably a problem with the stock. I know you mentioned in your first post you have kept fish for several years but are new to discus. That may also be part of the problem. I dont know what fish you kept in those several years but each fish species has a learning curve. I will tell you my first year of keeping discus was filled with mistakes and I was very knowledgeable and experienced with Salties at the time. ...Most peoples have a rocky start with Discus. Its frustrating at times until you learn to read them and understand their needs.

If you try this again and I hope you do... Start a thread before you do and maybe we can get you on the best path for success.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Melissa, I am beginning to think that your original fish came with something. When did you get them?
    Pat
    Whenever I think long and hard about what went wrong, I always go back to that first stock of discus... I actually just went through some pictures I had of that first group of 5 I purchased... and looking back, they really never looked too healthy from the very start. As a discus newbie, I don't think I realized this, and they were still all very cute despite how skinny they were... I received them in late March (I believe it was the 29th or 30th... I do believe it is likely that whatever they had was caught by the next group of discus that came in... Like I said, I have always believed this from the start, however, I tend to be hard on myself, and believed I should have been able to prevent this with all the water changes I was doing... At the end of the day though, I do believe that the first group of discus infected the tank with someting which led to the deaths in my second group.

The dark discus is still alive by the way, but doesn't look too well, still dark. Little guy is doing very well. I no longer fear for his survival. Plus, he is MUCH less pickier than any of the other discus I owned... He gobbles up the discus flakes as though it were a gourmet meal! No more relying on live blackworms! And again, this is a 2-inch discus from PETCO of all places!! I figure if I can keep this guy alive and healthy, I have to be doing SOMETHING right....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Melissa,
    Im sorry that this was not a great adventure for you. I suspect you had a bunch of stuff going on that contributed to this. Much of it was probably a problem with the stock. I know you mentioned in your first post you have kept fish for several years but are new to discus. That may also be part of the problem. I dont know what fish you kept in those several years but each fish species has a learning curve. I will tell you my first year of keeping discus was filled with mistakes and I was very knowledgeable and experienced with Salties at the time. ...Most peoples have a rocky start with Discus. Its frustrating at times until you learn to read them and understand their needs.

If you try this again and I hope you do... Start a thread before you do and maybe we can get you on the best path for success.

hth,
    al

When I say I've been keeping fish for several years, this includes MANY varieties of freshwater fish. I honestly cannot think of a type/family of fish that I HAVEN'T owned.

When I say I've been keeping fish for several years, this includes MANY varieties of freshwater fish. I honestly cannot think of a type/family of fish that I HAVEN'T owned.
    That may be the case Melissa, but you were new to discus. Many here will tell you that alone explains alot. Discus can be a very challenging fish for novices in their keeping. It sounds like looking back you recognize now that your first group probably was not healthy. Thats because you are more experienced now.Its part of that Learning Curve I mentioned.

I do wish you all the best though and hope you try again with healthy stock . Discus are worth the effort,IMO.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Patty

Melissa,
    I made the same mistake as you when I started. I lost one before finding SD. First I got rid of substrate and plants, then culled one humanly with clove oil. I learned my survivors were stunted and ill shaped but even though they improved, I finally re-homed them, bleached my entire system with guidance found here and started with a fresh batch. It was a very difficult decision (I was attached) but once I saw my new healthy stock, I didn’t look back.
    I’ve done a lot of “firsts” starting with the cull, but the people here have guided me through each step. I too, had kept many different fish and I’m actually glad I didn’t know ahead of time or I might have missed out on keeping these amazing fish. It’s been two yrs now and fingers crossed I haven’t lost one yet. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Melissa

Thanks to everyone that has provided input, advice, and encouragement. The dark one died, but honestly, I wasn't trying as hard with that one anymore. So now am down to just the little guy, who still appears to be doing well. I have come to like him very much, although I am constantly staring at him looking for something wrong. I hate that he's alone, but I'm scared to death to buy anymore. Not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks to everyone that has provided input, advice, and encouragement. The dark one died, but honestly, I wasn't trying as hard with that one anymore. So now am down to just the little guy, who still appears to be doing well. I have come to like him very much, although I am constantly staring at him looking for something wrong. I hate that he's alone, but I'm scared to death to buy anymore. Not sure what to do at this point.
    Honestly Melissa, I would not add any more Discus to his tank. You will probably end up going down the same road. If you have a smaller tank, He will probably be okay by himself in it with a few dither fish.. If you still want to try discus, Break down the larger tank and clean it well..start over with new stock after researching the options.

best of luck,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Melissa, if you decide to buy more discus please buy from a good source. Generally Petco and LFSs are not the best places.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast