AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: what do you treat new plants with to prevent snails or other problems

Registered Member

Default what do you treat new plants with to prevent snails or other problems

Im ordering a few plants and i was wondering what everyone does to get rid of snails before puttting into there main tank. i saw a post were some did a bleach dip but is there a better way I want to make sure i kill everything and not harm the plant in the process im getting anubius and java fern. Im trying not to get a snail infestation again or bring in other dieases i bought a piece of driftwood a few years back and put it into one of my tanks and i had snails everywhere im trying to prevent this from happening this time Id appreciate any methods you guys use and dosing instructions thanks alot.

Registered Member

Default Re: what do you treat new plants with to prevent snails or other problems

Options are dipping the plants in bleach or potassium permagnate.

I use potassium permagnate

Default Re: what do you treat new plants with to prevent snails or other problems

Whatever you decide to go with, it probably won't kill the eggs without killing the plant. I use copper for a month. Gives them enough time to hatch.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Whatever you decide to go with, it probably won't kill the eggs without killing the plant. I use copper for a month. Gives them enough time to hatch.
    is copper safe to add with discus and what brand and doseage do you use for it thanks