ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How does one make the water flow from a sump more gentle?

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default How does one make the water flow from a sump more gentle?

As some of you may have read, I made up an above tank sump recently. While it works fine, the water dropping in through the hose is too strong and the fish seem to huddle at the far end. Is there a trick to bringing in the water from the sump in a gentle fashion so as to not bother the fish w turbulence? I tried a foam sock over the hose end and turbulence went down, but there were tons of small bubbles ( not the micro bubbles from non aged water), but from water agitation. Any ideas would be most appreciated. I've turned off the pump to that sump for now to see if the fish move freely again.....and they seem to be.

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: How does one make the water flow from a sump more gentle?

You can use a spray bar which is basically a plastic tube with holes about 1 inch apart that one end would slide onto or in your sump hose with the other end capped. You normally see them on Eheim canister filters. You can use any plastic pipe that fits your application.

...Ralph

shopping.jpg
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Bill G.

Wow......that may be the ticket. Thanks much for the idea. I could use pvc with holes drilled by me w an end cap and I could make as long or short as needed. Your prompt reply is most appreciated. Now I can quiet things down and still mega filter. You made my night

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Lifegard-Aqua.../dp/B00NN0DE7K
    It does a good job of dispersing out the water in multiple directions.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Thanks James.....

What I decided to do was have the sump outlet hose dump into a larger gutter downspout modified. The bubbles all stay within the gutter piece and the water exits the gutter at the bottom as I cut out openings there. Now I bring water into the tank wo bubbles and flow only to have it seep out the bottom slots. Works like a charm. Thanks to you two for your help. I did start out w a tube w holes, but did not like the mega bubbles and went to this.
    IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg