ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Discus not eating

Registered Member
    Real Name
    farhan hossain

Exclamation New Discus not eating

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a situation in my tank. I had 5 adult discus in my 120g planted tank. Then I bough 2 5.5-6inch red cover discus from the same lFS, I QT them for a couple of weeks, but they were not eating. I thought they might start eating when I add them in the main discus tank with other discus. As they were not showing any sign of illness apart from not eating I added them to the main tank. Now it been around 20 days since I bought them, about a week in the main display tank. Yet they have not eaten a single thing. My water parameters are all good. 2-3times water change a week. temp is around 76-78.

The red covers keep hiding most of the time as they are being bullied by the older tank mates, They are not very active, and they are not showing any interest in food so far.The fins are erected though. Now I am getting worried and frustrated over it. I have tried Hikari Discus Bio Gold, and frozen blood worms so far. Black worms and brine shrimp are hard to get at this part of the world.

Now shall I be worried or is this normal? I know they need time to settle down but how long?

Sorry for the long post. Thanx and best Regards

Default Re: New Discus not eating

Temp at 76 - 78 ?
    Why so low ?

Registered Member

Were they eating at your LFS? Like Op said why 76-78 temp should be at least 80-82... did you treat with anything during QT?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    farhan hossain

Quote Originally Posted by nolefan View Post
    Were they eating at your LFS? Like Op said why 76-78 temp should be at least 80-82... did you treat with anything during QT?
    I bought them right after they my lFS received their overseas shipment. Didnt get the chance to see if they were eating or not. When in QT I dewormed them. Thats about it. All the other fish are doing good in that temp, Also as the fish had some bacterial node I lowered the temp a bit. I'll raise the temp back to 82. Is there anything else I can do?