ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey New Englanders... How did you make out in the storms yesterday?

Default Hey New Englanders... How did you make out in the storms yesterday?

We got pretty hammered here in the storms.. I have had no power since yesterday. Just got my internet back this am on my phone. We had trees down everywhere and closed roads.. It came in like a wall and I was on the far edge.. half my town got nothing!
    Jay and Lucas ... how are you guys? And anyone else that got hit?

I havent seen a storm move like that before.... scary. one minute nothing...the next all hell breaks loose.
    Hope everyone is ok.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Hey New Englanders... How did you make out in the storms yesterday?

roads leading to my house..

2018-05-16 09.28.10.jpg

2018-05-16 09.28.52.jpg
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Mervin

The weather sure is getting worse these days.Just goes to show our climate is changing.Seems to be bigger systems with more rain and wind and of course plenty dry is some areas.I have a feeling that it is gong to get worse as time goes by and it won't take decades.Records are being broken all the time.

Real Name
    Bill

Sorry to see you're dealing with these kind of storms now. I grew up in CT and went to high school in MA, and the only thing I remember are things like the blizzard of '78 and the occasional hurricane (like Gloria) that knocked out power for a few days. It seems like the nor'easters are hitting you guys worse than ever in recent years, and now you're getting the kind of severe weather I only learned about after moving to Arkansas. The kind of thunderstorms we can get out here are no joke, and we pay attention if we hear there is a chance of "severe weather." Obviously tornadoes are the main worry but "super cells," "straight-line winds," and such can bring big hail and 60-70 mph winds pretty much out of nowhere. Had no experience with this as a kid. Some years are worse than others (and this one hasn't been bad at all), and we're now kind of used to the occasional day with the TV weather guys taking over the broadcasts and doing up-to-the-minute storm tracking, but honestly we felt a lot better after my father-in-law helped us get a storm shelter installed a few years ago. The tornado sirens are a lot less harrowing when you're sitting with your family in a steel box. Sure hope you don't see more of these kind of events back in NE, though it's hard to be optimistic.

Take care and hope you get your power back soon.

The park they mention here, "Sleeping Giant" is about 15 mins from me.I hike there all the time..Im glad I wasnt there yesterday! Check.out the video destruction...looks like it was a tornado.
    https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...utages-top-11k
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Years ago you never heard of el nino or el nina. 38 hurycain on long island wrecked the east end & hit Ct. bad. No internet then but today you hear about every wind gust. There are pro 's who say ther is no globle warming & say a cold spell is coming like in the 70's. To me it's show me the money & i can fix anything. MOTHER NATURE RULES. Just my opinion. Harry

Real Name
    Patty

I’ve been in Florida 26 yrs and last yr the whole state was trying to evacuate. I thought I had hurricanes figured out (go away from the cone) but last yr for the first time the whole state was in the cone and trying to evacuate! Also each summer we get hotter sooner breaking the previous yrs record. Last yr we fled at the 11th hr when we found we were getting a direct hit. My husband was worried about leaving the fish till I said, “If we die, they die.” The storm did a last minute zig and our home and the fish were okay. Whew!
    I’ve debated climate change in favor of climate scientists with many non believers, so I won’t do it here. I will define it though as the pursuit of truth and say I believe them.

Nothing much here...some pretty loud thunder and some hard rain but nothing out of the ordinary. Lucky, I guess.

Registered Member

We had heavy rain small hail maybe the size of marbles and high winds but no damage
    while 3 miles away at my daughters house they had what they thought was tornado[ wasn't] and
    hid in the cellar for a 1/2 hour. The hail was the size of golf balls and broke 18 windows and damaged
    the gutters and down spouts.
    Hey Al going to be a real problem if I have go down that road for some discus.LOL
    Martha glad you didn't have to hook up the car battery to keep the pumps going.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Martha glad you didn't have to hook up the car battery to keep the pumps going.
    Jay
    LOL got a 5,500 watt generator at a yard sale for $60 delivered! Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    LOL got a 5,500 watt generator at a yard sale for $60 delivered! Works great!
    Nice score!! Now be sure to change that oil regularly and store it with gas treated with Stabil. Fire that baby up monthly for about 20 min to 30 mins as well.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Nice score!! Now be sure to change that oil regularly and store it with gas treated with Stabil. Fire that baby up monthly for about 20 min to 30 mins as well.

al
    I change the spark plug every spring too. Monthly? Good to know.

The spark plug on a seldom used generator can last years but you dont want fuel sitting in a carbureator and you want to run it regularly to keep it in good condition for when you need it. Firing it up monthly is ideal though it could be every few months. What you don't want is to wait until you need it. I come across so many generators on craigslist that don't start but "ran great when we used it last year" Regularly running your generator when you dont need it is the best way to be sure it runs when you do.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I've been changing the spark plugs on everything at the same time: the riding and self-propelling mowers (I mow an acre), the chain saw, generator... Good. I can skip the generator next year. One less thing to do. I start the generator up every few months but I'm going to be doing it monthly now. Apply the flea and tick repellent, feed the heart worm med, and start up the generator the first of every month. I change the oil on the generator every year too. If I'm running it every month, is a once-a-year oil change enough?

Registered Member

All of the above is right on. I don't change the oil every year and I'm running it about the same as you.
    2 things though, 1- make sure you use the blue stabil, not the red, in all your equipment especially
    your 2 cycle engines. Gets rid of ethanol which wrecks havoc on 2 cycle engines.
    2- when you run it for 10 or 15 min. make sure you put it on charger for 24 hours.
    Generators do not charge there battery's. Sort of an oxymoron.
    As Al said good score.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast