AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus - Recording my Journey

Registered Member

Default Discus - Recording my Journey

So after asking a 100 questions here, collecting all the information I could and being really patient (not usually a quality I posses), I removed all the sand, bought some tetras/rasboras, corries waited for 6 odd weeks to ensure they are all healthy and now my Discus have finally arrived.

First I QT'd them for a day, so they could get over the stress of the travel, as advised by the breeder
    Discus in QT tank.jpg

And finally I moved them into the main tank.
    Discus in Main tank.jpg

I asked the breeder who is a distant relative (so I trust him completely) to send me 3 of each of the different varieties he had in stock.
    From what I know, I have 3 Golden Melons, 3 Blue Diamonds, 3 Cobolds. Not sure what the other 3 are. Maybe you guys can help identify them. Only regret is that I don't have any red Discus (might pick up a pair at a later date, assuming everything goes well)

They are looking spectacular in the main tank but as expected they are hiding behind the log, so its been difficult to get good pictures of them as they hide whenever they can see anyone, though they come out and roam, when we are far from the tank, though still will only move as a group.
    I am just waiting for them to start eating, after which I will be happy.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus - Recording my Journey

Hi Hidan, it would have been best to have QT the discus for six weeks before moving them into the main tank. Be sure to watch the ammonia as you will most likely have a min-cycle so keep up with daily 50% or better water changes. Ask the breeder what he was feeding. I see the three cobalts, one blue diamond (barless), three yellows (golden melons?) and not sure about the three showing the strongest barring.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I have been doing daily water changes, which should keep the ammonia in check. I didn't QT them for 6 weeks as I fully trust the breeder and know the fish are without disease. Its a calculated chance.
    The breeder was feeding them a beef heart mix. I will be preparing the same and start feeding them that from today. Sadly some family emergency made it impossible for me to do the same earlier.

Three yellows (golden melons?),
    Well he told me they were golden melons (what is the official name of the yellows?), there are 3 Blue Diamonds, only one is clearly seen in the photos. One other has the same light blue coloration and another has a dark blue color both with no barring.
    Of the remaining 3, one can be seen next to the blue diamond. It has some nice designs on its blue colors. No idea what variety it is (help identifying the breed would be appreciated), but I absolutely love it. The remaining two are darkish blue with strong barring, which aren't the best looking and I have no idea about the variety (maybe an expert here can help me identify them).

Real Name
    Pat

I would ask the breeder what the three unknowns are. At this age it's hard to tell, perhaps a type of turquoise. There are a variety of names for yellow based discus and it tends to be breeder specific.

As for QT did the tetras, rasboras and cories come from the same source? When we QT fish it is generally done for six weeks. This allows the fish to recover from shipping, begin to eat and regain their strength without being exposed to stuff from other fish. It also allow us to assess the fish for any issues and do something about it during the QT process.
    Pat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I would ask the breeder what the three unknowns are. At this age it's hard to tell, perhaps a type of turquoise. There are a variety of names for yellow based discus and it tends to be breeder specific.

As for QT did the tetras, rasboras and cories come from the same source? When we QT fish it is generally done for six weeks. This allows the fish to recover from shipping, begin to eat and regain their strength without being exposed to stuff from other fish. It also allow us to assess the fish for any issues and do something about it during the QT process.
    Pat
    The tetras and Rasboras were in the tank for over 6 weeks, most have been there between 2-3 months.

I couldn't QT the Discus for long as the QT tank was placed on the floor in the sitting room and the discus were panicking whenever anyone walked near the tank. It also wouldn't have enough filtration to keep up the water conditions pristine for 6 weeks. So it was a bit of a judgement call, adding them in quickly.
    I do understand that it was a chance and I am hoping it does not backfire on me.

In other fantastic news I finally got my beef heart mix prepared and that got the discus out and eating. As soon as it hit the water they came out to eat. So hopefully getting them to eat is now a thing of the past.
    Though I would like to get them eating pellets as well so I can feed them beef heart in the evenings and pellets in the morning.

And now I await them getting used to our presence and the noise of footsteps, television and doors opening/closing and continue to swim about freely while we are around. They currently come out when we are all far enough from the tank, but as long as they can see us (seem to have a surprisingly great eyesight), they will only move all together.
    Last edited by Hidan; 05-19-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Hope it all works out Hidan and glad the fish are eating. That is a huge relief I'm sure.
    Pat

Registered Member

So checked with the breeder who stated that the remaining 3 are Brown San Merah.
    So I have 2 Blue Diamonds, 3 Cobalts, 3 Golden Melons & 3 Brown San Merah. Last one is the blue with the design, which I am not sure of the variety. Will ask the breeder when I can.

Discus continue to go nuts whenever I feed Beef heart (they really love it). They are now a lot more comfortable and were happily swimming around yesterday, though they do get spooked when the television is on.
    One of the San Merah has darkened his color and was bullying everyone else. From what I read about Discus, I am guessing he is trying to establish himself as the Alpha.

So far so good.

Registered Member

Discus have now undergone a complete transformation. From cowardly fish hiding behind the log (when I got them), they now come flying to the front to beg for food, everytime I approach the tank. Starting to remind me why I absolutely adore cichlids.

They are also highly aggressive eaters and just push aside all the Tetras, Rasboras, Dwarf Gourami, Ram out of the way and take all the food, relegating the others to the scraps. A few of the Discus now eat some pellets, even though they don't seem to like them very much.

Only have one worry, which is that I have seen a couple of them rub their bodies against the log a few times, so a bit concerned that it could be something.
    Have started feeding them thrice a day with beef heart and usually do daily 50% water changes. Hoping to see a growth spurt the Discus coloring up even more.

I want to add one pair of Red Discus to the tank, ideally one with a pattern (snakeskin or pigeonblood were what I was considering) though have to decide which and then find a breeder/dealer I can trust to get me a quality pair at a reasonable price.

Registered Member

My Dwarf Gourami and German Blue Ram. Both are beauties and doing well with the discus.
    Dwarf Gourami 1.jpg

German Blue Ram 1.JPG

Both are beauties are seem to be getting along great with the Discus.

And yes they were in the tank for a while before I introduced the Discus.
    Last edited by Hidan; 05-24-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Real Name
    Rob

Those yellows look lovely Hidan, and the RamGourami has lovely colour too. I read PB's are difficult for first timers, and pepper quite easily. Some aren't bothered, or quite like it, but for that reason I'll be giving them a miss on the first attempt with discus.

Any chance of a full tank shot?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by lastflea View Post
    Those yellows look lovely Hidan, and the RamGourami has lovely colour too. I read PB's are difficult for first timers, and pepper quite easily. Some aren't bothered, or quite like it, but for that reason I'll be giving them a miss on the first attempt with discus.

Hi Rob, check your source of PBs being difficult. I have not hear that ( could be dated info). The PBs breed today tend to be free of pepper but might show some pepper when stressed or blending in to a dark background.

Hi Hidan, glad to hear everyone is coming around and sounds like you are enjoying your fish.

Pat

Registered Member

Will get some pics tomorrow.

On a different note, struggling to keep the algae under control, as the tank gets a bit of sunlight as well as has a tube on the whole day. Have 9 Algae eaters (4 Otos, 4 Siamese and 1 Bristlenose) and all of them come out to eat beef heart instead of eating the algae. Only effective algae eater is me with the scrubber.

Been struggling to find a quality aquarium light as either the lights are too weak for a four foot tank or too bloody expensive (as they are imported and hence overpriced). Will try and build a light and add a timer so I control the hours the light stays on. Hopefully soon.

Hi Hidan, glad to hear everyone is coming around and sounds like you are enjoying your fish.
    Absolutely loving it. I sit by the tank everyday and the discus will come to the front of the tank and stare at me (probably wondering where the food is). Can't wait till they put on some more size.

Real Name
    Rob

Sun light and tubes on all day will definitely be contributing. Timers are cheap and exactly what you need. Can you get curtains or a blind for the window?

Registered Member

As promised here are some pics of the tank.

Fish tank 1.jpg
    The full tank along with the stand.

And some additional pictures of the fish.
    Fish tank 2.jpg

Fish tank 3.jpg

Registered Member

Sun light and tubes on all day will definitely be contributing. Timers are cheap and exactly what you need. Can you get curtains or a blind for the window?
    I have curtains. However the temperature is fluctuating between 41-47 Celsius & I get direct sunlight, so light comes through the curtains. It should get better once the summer passes.

I am sure timers are cheap, but struggling to find any quality aquarium light that has those features. Lots of quality aquarium lights available for smaller tanks, but few LFSs are importing quality lights for a 4 foot tank and the few that have it aren't that good or are ridiculously overpriced.
    Might have to look into building my own and will add a timer to it. Till then I will have to make do with what I have. Though still cant figure out why all my algae eaters dine on beef heart and not algae.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast