ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus having trouble eating

Registered Member

Default Discus having trouble eating

Hello this is my very first post on Simply Discus and I have a problem I have never really experienced with any discus I have had. My three juvenile discus are doing great in the tank however the get very startled when I walk closer to the tank. Sometimes it ruins their appetite I feel. I'm wondering if there is a quick solution to this so that I can start getting them on a good feeding schedule. If not is it just something I need to wait out and have them get used to? Any advice would be appreciated!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus having trouble eating

Hi Marvin, try approaching the tank from one side and move slowly towards the tank. If the fish move away stop. Stay to the side of the tank to feed etc. The idea is to give the fish a safe spot. Having only three is hurting you a bit as the fish find security in group, generally at least six. Also be sure to not be walking thru areas of light or be silhouetted as you will appear black to the fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

It unfortunately seems like my fish have started to refuse any food I put into the tank. I was thinking maybe it's just them trying to get used to their new tank? How long can they usually go without taking any food in? They seem to be getting used to the me walking towards the tank but they have just stopped eating as whole. They have refused food for about two days now and I am starting to get very nervous for the fish.

Registered Member

I had a similar problem, however it got resolved when I checked with the breeder and asked him what he was feeding them (turned out beef heart). As soon as I fed them the same food, they came out to eat.
    Earlier they just ignored the discus pellets I was providing them as I don't even think that registered as food to them.

Maybe you can find out what they are used to eating and try feeding them the same.