AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Grow Tank Size Recommendation Please?

Real Name
    Rob

Default Grow Tank Size Recommendation Please?

Hi everyone

Could anyone advise if a 4'x18"x18" tank would be a decent size to grow out 12 discus, from around 3" to 6"?

Thanks in advance, Rob

Default Re: Grow Tank Size Recommendation Please?

Probably a few too many when they get bigger. ~67 gallons based on outside dimensions, but it will be less in-practice.

Just to clarify, you mean starting with 3" discus and raising them to 6"? Not mixing 3" and 6" fish together.

Real Name
    Rob

Ah yes, sorry. Growing from 3" to 6"

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Rob,

I used to grow out around 12 discus in a 75 gallon. Your tank is 8 gallons smaller. Now I am not saying this is alright, because one would be pushing it raising 12 discus in a 67 gallon tank and it is never a good idea to be on the cusp with discus.

If you do your water changes, sometimes two 75% or more a day, then you may have success. You still have to consider the pairing off game that happens anywhere from 4 inches up depending on the discus. Once pairs form you may have to remove the pair or other fish. Then there is always the runt,(the one which is always singled out and bullied). Most runts die if they are left in the group. I used to keep a small deformed discus in the group hoping to direct the bulling to the less desirable fish. I know, it sounds cruel. I wasn't real fond of this stage either. Other more seasoned discus keepers may have a better way. If so please chime in.

I mostly had success when growing out 10 to 12 discus in 75 gallon tanks, but I always had to be on my toes. When water changes couldn't be done the fish suffered quickly. I would think water quality would remain good longer if you had a batch of 7-9.

I hope this helps Rob. Best of luck!
    Kraig

Real Name
    Willie

Per Craig, it's the number of water changes, not the size of the tank. If you can do 100% daily, then go for it.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.