ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Show Tank

Registered Member

Default Cloudy Show Tank

Returned after the weekend to find my main 570L planted show tank cloudy. Water parameters were all as normal (PH 7.3, N03 <5ppm, 29C, TDS 70,), all fish accounted for and no uneaten food or anything out of the normal. Water 100% RO. Carried out a 50% W/C, usual daily changes = 30%. Came in today and still cloudy? Filter cleaned every fortnight. Fish are okay and eating just cannot understand what could be making the water cloudy?

Default Re: Cloudy Show Tank

Blooms like that can happen anytime theres an imbalance.Is this tank dosed with anything?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rob

Hi Branch. Also, haven't you recently upgraded your lighting? Did you go for the CO2 kit in the end? As Al says, it's an imbalance and might be to do with your plant lighting and ferts.

Registered Member

Thanks guys. Tank isn't dosed with anything and lighting has been running now for over a month and has only this week turned cloudy. Perhaps reduce LEDs by two hours a day to see if this helps? The water doesn't appear green or particularly white just slightly cloudy. Have checked all parameters since yesterday, I inadvertently put PH as 7.3 I meant 6.3 it's 6.5 today, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates ,5 ppm, P04 0.1ppm, temp 28.5, filter clean with no apparent die off of BB as no change in stocking. No obvious algae bloom or issues. Baffled....but will monitor lighting if that's what you suggest?

Personally I would try this...

141420_MAIN._AC_SY400_V1513369684_.jpg

Its a safe easy fix in many cases..It doesnt treat the underlying causes but can help you get a handle on it.
    Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rob

You might be getting a bacterial bloom if the water is more grey/milky. Tonnes of reasons for this, look it up. They should dissipate naturally, but no time scale on that.

Registered Member

Thanks guys, I did look it up before but nothing seems to directly fit. Would always choose to source the problem rather than disguise it. Will see how the reduction in light duration helps. B

Real Name
    Rob

Would be interested to know if that helps Branch, so please do update. My display tank will be low tech planted, and others experiences always helps

Registered Member

Will do! My C02 system went live yesterday so it will be interesting to see how that affects the clarity of the water or the balance in the tank. Very high tech my office now looks like a science lab! B

Registered Member

Definitely algae checked water out of the tank and it had a green tinge therefore have reduced the duration of the 2 LED strips hopefully this will start to sort the cloudiness out. Any other ideas to help this along would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Rob

Are you EI dosing, along with the CO2?

Registered Member

EI??? just the C02 at present. The algae bloom started before the C02 was switched on. Have switched both LEDs off now totally and just running the 3 T5s hoping the water will clear with the water changes (1/3rd tank per day). Any idea of how long it will take to eliminate the algae? P04 = 0, N03 = <5ppm so it's not excess nutrients just light and obviously due to having the 2 LED strips on for too long, need to find a balance. C02 at about 15ppm presently.

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Branch View Post
    EI??? just the C02 at present. The algae bloom started before the C02 was switched on. Have switched both LEDs off now totally and just running the 3 T5s hoping the water will clear with the water changes (1/3rd tank per day). Any idea of how long it will take to eliminate the algae? P04 = 0, N03 = <5ppm so it's not excess nutrients just light and obviously due to having the 2 LED strips on for too long, need to find a balance. C02 at about 15ppm presently.
    It might be a lack of nutrients. The plants will need more, now that CO2 is being injected. If they're not getting enough they can release ammonia/ammonium into the tank. This will no doubt be consumed quickly enough by your filtration, but it's a very common cause of algae blooms in high tech.

EI is a form of dosing nutrients for high tech. There's plenty on the web about it. I'd say, if you're not dosing anything, then this is the likely culprit. You can get rid of the bloom quick enough with a UV steriliser, but this is a quick fix. I'd definitely be looking into EI dosing with CO2.

It'll take a while for the bloom to clear, just by trying to balance the ferts, so maybe get a HOB UV steriliser. Pop it on to clear the bloom, then if it returns, pop it on again. In the mean time have a good read up on EI dosing.

High tech is pretty difficult to get right. There's a fine balance between the light, CO2 and the right amount of ferts. I managed to get there in the end by adopting an approach of try less, add more. So, try less light, half the dosing of ferts, half the CO2. Then increase each gradually, or increase one, not the other. It's tricky, but it's easier to deal with hungry plants, than something like an algae bloom.

Registered Member

Thanks Rob, I've obviously missed a link in the chain by not dosing any ferts believing that the fish waste and uneaten food would provide sufficient nutrients. On checking my C02 levels I noted that they were only 10ppm and so I've increased the amount of C02 being dosed into the tank, not sure how effective the JBL diffuser is will just need to monitor. Have never heard of EI, albeit this is my first attempt at a high tech system, and so I will read up about it today. Oddly enough the water was marginally clearer today so perhaps the main culprit was in fact too much lighting. Branch

Real Name
    Rob

I would hold off increasing the CO2 until your tank is clear. If it is the lighting, then you might be replacing one problem with another.

Your natural waste might have been enough were it not for your bio filter, which takes away the ammonia faster than the plants can consume it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast