AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Show Tank

Registered Member

Default Re: Cloudy Show Tank

Difficult balance then as the C02 levels are far too low to benefit the plant growth, the lights are on a minimal photoperiod, and there's insufficient nutrients for them to feed off! Will monitor and report back. Thanks Rob

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

What plants do you have? I am able to get decent growth from amazon swords, crypts with osmocote pellets pushed into the substrate near their root base. Java Moss and Java Fern grow just off water column nutrients with daily metrocide dosing, LED lighting and no CO2.

Dosing with metrocide/Flourish Excel will help to kill the algae. As will a total/actual blackout. Do you have fish in the tank?

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Branch View Post
    Difficult balance then as the C02 levels are far too low to benefit the plant growth, the lights are on a minimal photoperiod, and there's insufficient nutrients for them to feed off! Will monitor and report back. Thanks Rob
    Am sure you'll get it sorted, but hold off on the CO2 for a while. If you don't have sufficient nutrients then it's pointless anyway. It'll just end up causing more problems.

Here's a good thread to read up on....

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...uch-co2.20034/

Rob,
    Can you give us some pics of the tank?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Unbelievable came in this morning and the tank was crystal clear? perhaps due to a combination of the large w/c's and reduced light? need to now do some experimenting with the light and C02. Branch

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Rob,
    Can you give us some pics of the tank?
    Al
    Not my tank Al, it's Branch's

Wow Branch, and nice work. Yes, get reading, and also about ferts. You will need them with that kind of light power and CO2 injection. Hopefully you are on your way to a beautiful, planted tank

Registered Member

Rob, I celebrated too soon as half way through the morning it started to cloud up a bit again. Wondered if it was partly caused by the Discus Diet food which is part beefheart with shrimp and bloodworm? Or it may just have been a result of the lights coming on and causing the algae to re-bloom?

As for ferts I added some power tabs under the roots of the swords which should help with the growth.

I'm a patient person, think you have to be with discus, so I'll keep reading the articles and experimenting with the balance of the lights and C02 to see what results in optimal growth and happy fish. It's funny you copied that thread from UKAPS as I've printed off two articles 1. 'C02 in the Planted Aquarium' and 2. 'C02 Measurement as the author seems to know his subject and isn't afraid of calling members out for dodgy advice. I also, following your recommendation printed off 'What you need to know about EI Feeding' which to me is a little complex and really starts to add another dimension to keeping a high tech tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Branch View Post
    Rob, I celebrated too soon as half way through the morning it started to cloud up a bit again. Wondered if it was partly caused by the Discus Diet food which is part beefheart with shrimp and bloodworm? Or it may just have been a result of the lights coming on and causing the algae to re-bloom?

As for ferts I added some power tabs under the roots of the swords which should help with the growth.

I'm a patient person, think you have to be with discus, so I'll keep reading the articles and experimenting with the balance of the lights and C02 to see what results in optimal growth and happy fish. It's funny you copied that thread from UKAPS as I've printed off two articles 1. 'C02 in the Planted Aquarium' and 2. 'C02 Measurement as the author seems to know his subject and isn't afraid of calling members out for dodgy advice. I also, following your recommendation printed off 'What you need to know about EI Feeding' which to me is a little complex and really starts to add another dimension to keeping a high tech tank.
    I think your main culprit is the food. Not likely a bloom would happen in a few short hours. We really could use some photos though to see what the tank is set up like.It sounds like you have way too much of a nutrient load.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Surely though nitrates and phosphates would be elevated? N03 <5ppm and P04 = 0.1. Also today I came in and the tank was clear and so to try and eliminate the various factors I didn't feed the fish and the tank still started to go cloudy by about 11am? Could it be the light, notwithstanding that the LEDs are switched off with only 3 x T5s running as obviously the tank clears overnight and once the lights go on it becomes murky again? Not sure how to get pictures onto the forum, excuse my ignorance!

Real Name
    Rob

I still think it's the addition of CO2 and lack of nutrients. If you've reduced your photo period and still the water goes cloudy, then there has to be another factor. The plants need nutrients due to a boost in their efficiency with the CO2. If there's not enough there, you can get cloudy water. This might make sense, seeing as the cloud eases off when the lights are out.

Registered Member

Okay Rob I'll try it with the C02 off over the weekend to see if the situation improves. Please note that the C02 is injected through the night too as it's on a control panel linked to the PH/KH and not on a timer. Also C02 levels are still very low i.e. 10 - 12ppm surely that can't be causing such an issue?

Branch is there a reason why you don't want to post pics? I have asked several times. Without seeing your setup and plantings I am not sure how anyone can really help you here. It would probably help figure this out .

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Sorry Al, please see my post above. I'm happy to post my pics just not sure how to get them on to the forum never done it before? I have the pic on my phone....Branch

Real Name
    Rob

Photo posting is in the "go advanced" option, but I just had a look at it on my phone, and the option isn't there. Maybe the app version of the forum doesn't give you that feature, in which case, upload to a computer and "go advanced" from there.

Thats odd. I didnt realize the mobile app doesnt have a photo attachment. Honestly I hate the look of the mobile app and use the Desktop version on my phone it works just like the the site does on my pc.

Branch.. brewmaster15@comcast.net is my email. if you cant figure out how to attach them using the desktop version of the forum on your phone... drop me an email and I will post it.
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast