AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ***REVISED****Contest Idea.want to Win $$$

Default Re: Contest Idea.. want to Win $ ̶1̶0̶0̶ ? $300 !

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    Count me in, do the photo's have to be of the same tank every time? I have multiple discus tanks in my house and it might be fun to post different tanks on different days, Also when do we start?
    Kevin each thread would be pics from the same tank, but you can run multiple threads if you want. We should pobably limit that to 3 threads?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Anyone else interested in this contest idea? Please do post here so I can gauge interest. I think it could be a really fun contest and has the potential to be something we do regularly. Anyone can enter. I'm a bit surprised there not more interest. A chance for $300 cash and all you need to do is snap a picture of your fishtank for 30 days and post it. No raffle tickets to buy, no judging the fish quality or pic quality. Its just a fun contest with a chance for a cash prize. $300 will buy alot of fish food or more discus!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Patty

I thought we’d be on page 7 or 8 by now! What’s holding everyone back? I was really excited to show off my fish and my other friends are frankly tired of seeing/hearing about them.
    C’mon, I’ve been planning my shots starting with a close up of each. They have been practicing their cat walks; please don’t make me have to break their little hearts.....
    Patty

Is it the last man standing who wins, or are the names of all the folks who post pics for a month tossed into a hat and the winner is the name that is drawn out or what? It either of those things are the case I'm afraid I'm out. I was hoping for a competition of some kind. I had to planned to post a pic every day and every day to tell a little story of what was going on. I was also hoping that the winner would be chosen by a vote by the members here.

I think that the reason that there hasn't been more excitement about this contest is that not everyone is home every day to take a pick like I am. Most folks keep fish because they can get away for a weekend. I have 8 dogs, a horse, and 24 chickens who need me home to care for them. Thank goodness I'm a homebody. The majority of people are not like me.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Is it the last man standing who wins, or are the names of all the folks who post pics for a month tossed into a hat and the winner is the name that is drawn out or what? It either of those things are the case I'm afraid I'm out. I was hoping for a competition of some kind. I had to planned to post a pic every day and every day to tell a little story of what was going on. I was also hoping that the winner would be chosen by a vote by the members here.

I think that the reason that there hasn't been more excitement about this contest is that not everyone is home every day to take a pick like I am. Most folks keep fish because they can get away for a weekend. I have 8 dogs, a horse, and 24 chickens who need me home to care for them. Thank goodness I'm a homebody. The majority of people are not like me.
    Ah that kinda life is why I work 12 hours a day m-f in construction lol. Want nothing more than to own some land and make a life with my girl. But because of that I'm rarely home during the week only awake after work long enough to eat dinner with my gf and do my WC. The majority of my time here is spent on breaks and lunch at work hehehe. Maybe I can get a pic in the morning during feeding before work but I only have 4 discus at the moment and posting those for 30+ days sounds boring for you guys to watch haha

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Anyone else interested in this contest idea? Please do post here so I can gauge interest. I think it could be a really fun contest and has the potential to be something we do regularly. Anyone can enter. I'm a bit surprised there not more interest. A chance for $300 cash and all you need to do is snap a picture of your fishtank for 30 days and post it. No raffle tickets to buy, no judging the fish quality or pic quality. Its just a fun contest with a chance for a cash prize. $300 will buy alot of fish food or more discus!

al
    Hi Al,
    I would like to commend you, Pat, and Tom, for your generosity. $300 is certainly a serious prize, and i am sure that alone would generate lots of interest. I for one would enter as its not that hard to snap a picture each day and post it on here. I will be leaving home before the end of June with my family for a trip to America, and will be in New Jersey to attend NADA 2018, for which i am looking forward to. So i would not be able to participate over the full month.

I'm just wondering though, and it has been mentioned by another member, whether people would find it boring seeing 30 pics of my discus. Multiply that by say 20 participants making it 600 pics...thats alot of pics off the same 20 tanks and fish.

I just wonder whether narrowing it down to less pics from each entrant over the month or two, of pictures with subjects nominated by you and posted randomly throughout the thread. That would ensure that everyone reads through the whole thread as to not miss needed information to continue with the competition. Subjects would be mainly discus and tank, but may also include items used in the hobby, nature, scenes, or anything else for that matter.

People that comply would be drawn in a raffle and maybe have 3 prizes, giving more than one person a chance to win.

As you requested, these are just my thoughts, but want to wish you all the very best on whatever you decide.

Joe
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Count me in!
    ~Ashish
    http://ashtricusdiscus.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post

Interesting .. I will think about it Liz.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Hi Al,
    I would like to commend you, Pat, and Tom, for your generosity. $300 is certainly a serious prize, and i am sure that alone would generate lots of interest. I for one would enter as its not that hard to snap a picture each day and post it on here. I will be leaving home before the end of June with my family for a trip to America, and will be in New Jersey to attend NADA 2018, for which i am looking forward to. So i would not be able to participate over the full month.

I'm just wondering though, and it has been mentioned by another member, whether people would find it boring seeing 30 pics of my discus. Multiply that by say 20 participants making it 600 pics...thats alot of pics off the same 20 tanks and fish.

I just wonder whether narrowing it down to less pics from each entrant over the month or two, of pictures with subjects nominated by you and posted randomly throughout the thread. That would ensure that everyone reads through the whole thread as to not miss needed information to continue with the competition. Subjects would be mainly discus and tank, but may also include items used in the hobby, nature, scenes, or anything else for that matter.

People that comply would be drawn in a raffle and maybe have 3 prizes, giving more than one person a chance to win.

As you requested, these are just my thoughts, but want to wish you all the very best on whatever you decide.

Joe
    Joe, thanks for the suggestion. I have to give this some more that taking into consideration all the feedback and questions.. Thanks very much.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

I just hope it doesnt get complicated. I like the KISS method myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel13 View Post
    I just hope it doesnt get complicated. I like the KISS method myself.
    lol... I Will try and come up with something that is straight forward and appealing. Its a challenge in of itself!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Hi,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a few months and am new to discus-keeping.
    From the first day I received my discus, I've been wanting to document their evolution on a regular basis. I know that that is the point of the tank journals to some extent.
    This contest may help me break the ice and start sharing with you. It would not really be for the prize but rather because by having many people participating, we could clearly see how each one sees their tank, their fish and how much or how little things change over a month or two.

I guess that snapping a photo of a tank every day and uploading it can be extremely easy for certain persons but rather hard for others.
    If the idea of a "last man standing" contest doesn't hold, maybe the contest may morph into a vote for the best 1-month-long thread about a tank or a fish...? Be it just nice photos or photos+text.

(I'm quite happy to have posted my first post here )

Welcome to Simply, Thomas. I know that I would enjoy seeing how your fish progress over time. I'm an old timer in Discus. It would be interesting to see how someone new to Discus progresses.
    Mama Bear

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

This sounds fun and exciting! If I still had fish I would be all over this.
    Kraig

Default ***REVISED****Contest Idea.want to Win $$$

It seems theres some interest in doing a contest but maybe not as much as I had planned on for the original concept. Im flexible here though so lets take some of the ideas and suggestions and rework this. I will table the last man standing idea for now.

How about this..
    "Your Hobby Your story"
    We set up a section for the contest.Entrants start a thread where they talk about their Fish Keeping Hobby or some aspect of it. You could start a thread on a particular tank and follow that one tank. Or choose to showcase your fishroom or multiple tanks. Since it is hobby related it can be planted tanks and non discus as well but lets keep it fresh water.The more pictures and the more details the better chance of winning as the winner will be by vote. The voting will be by the members here at SD based on general things like content, how interesting etc.

I think I can swing several prizes. I will again put up the $100 as the grand prize. Pat and Tom will need to decide if they still want in on this.

This contest should be more appealing because you need not post daily but you can if you want to. Since the contest requirement has changed to make it easier to enter I would like to change the duration to 2 months.... And again it should not affect anyone going to NADA since the whole thread is what counts.

Who is interested now?

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-30-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast