ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Keeping Yellow Discus Yellow

Real Name
    Rob

Default Keeping Yellow Discus Yellow

Hi everyone. I believe there's a knack to this, because they lose the yellow pigment with age. Is there a specific diet that maintains a bright yellow colouration?

Rob

Registered Member

Default Re: Keeping Yellow Discus Yellow

Lutein and zeaxanthin are two yellow/orange carotenoids. The supplement FloraGlo contains both. I haven't had to use it for my fish yet but it worked for my bird.

Rob your biggest challenge with yellows is to avoid reds and oranges. These are in so many foods and readily taken up by discus. Most yellow discus usually succumb to turning orange. If you can avoid orange and red pigments a little supplimentation with yellows mentioned goes a long way.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Most yellow discus usually succumb to turning orange.
    Thanks both of you

That's not a surprise if the supplements contain yellow AND orange enhancers. So is there a specific carotenoid for yellow only? Doesn't make any sense to feed a yellow discus carotenoids that contain enhancers for orange, as well as yellow, if yellow is hard to maintain. May as well feed them reds.

Just gathering info here, on things that aren't clear, and difficult to find definitive answers on the web.

Registered Member

www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/16/2/1710/pdf

Skip to the section entitled "3.1. Orange and yellow pigment carotenoids." Discussion of yellow carotenoids continues after pages and pages of tables.

That article is going to be a lot more reliable than my memory but a lot of fish foods contain beta carotene, astaxanthin, or canthaxanthin which I believe are all orange/red carotenoids.

You would have to minimize those and load up on the yellow carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin, etc.).

Many carotenoids can be converted from one to another so that's something else to watch out for. I don't know if a yellow can be converted to a red/orange but I suppose it's possible.

Registered Member

Interesting thread.

I have mostly blues and yellows. Do I just have to avoid astaxanthin or add astaxanthin to the beef heart mix or should I be adding in any other color enhancers to keep their colors bright?
    Last edited by Hidan; 05-24-2018 at 03:39 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Rob your biggest challenge with yellows is to avoid reds and oranges. These are in so many foods and readily taken up by discus. Most yellow discus usually succumb to turning orange. If you can avoid orange and red pigments a little supplimentation with yellows mentioned goes a long way.

al
    Hi Al,
    I feed your FDBW and discus pellets to my whites and yellows to avoid the red/orange. Are one of the supplements mentioned above good for enhancing yellow without going orange or red?

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/16/2/1710/pdf

Skip to the section entitled "3.1. Orange and yellow pigment carotenoids." Discussion of yellow carotenoids continues after pages and pages of tables.

That article is going to be a lot more reliable than my memory but a lot of fish foods contain beta carotene, astaxanthin, or canthaxanthin which I believe are all orange/red carotenoids.

You would have to minimize those and load up on the yellow carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin, etc.).

Many carotenoids can be converted from one to another so that's something else to watch out for. I don't know if a yellow can be converted to a red/orange but I suppose it's possible.
    Really useful, thank you

Hidan....!! I'm really leaning towards blues and yellows for my first throw. Was also planning to buy Stendkers, but not seeing any yellow variations on their website, so possibly changing my mind on the source. This is a real problem with discus. Their beauty seems to cast spells and control your decisions.

Registered Member

I am loving my Golden Melons and the Blue Diamonds & Tiger Turquoise are stunning as well, so there are good options in yellows and blues. No idea bout Stendkers as that really is not an option in my country.

The fact that most foods available here have is something of a concern astaxanthin is a bit of a concern to me as I am still not sure how it will affect my Yellow and Blue Discus and sadly its been a bit difficult getting reliable information about the same.
    Hopefully someone here who has dealt with yellows and Blues or a mixed Discus tank can let us beginners know how to manage the discus food without having the yellows and Blues lose their color.

Real Name
    Willie

Admittedly it’s been a while, but I’ve never had any problems keeping yellow discus yellow with beef heart. I order more me from one of the sponsors here.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.