ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New breeder

Registered Member

Default New breeder

Hi i'm a new discus breeder and I recently purchased a pair of F3 Heckel x Amana discus from Canadian Aqua farm and within the first week of having them they already laid eggs! The eggs lasted about 2 days before they were eaten, but they didn't fungus up or turn white so in guessing the pair is good and my water isn't too hard. They are in a 110 gallon aquarium by themselves right now but I want to move them to a 36 gallon bowfront. I was wondering what would be the best filtration for the 36 gallon breeding tank, im looking for something quiet, the tanks are in my bedroom.

Parameters

TDS : 250
    PH : 7-7.5
    Nitrate : 0
    Nitrite : 0
    Ammonia : 0
    KH : 0
    GH : 60-120

Also if anyone could explain how to add pictures from your phone that would be great! I tried adding as attachment but the file was unreadable.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: New breeder

I think I remember seeing those fish from Canadian Aqua Farm shipment pictures last year. Pretty fish.

I have not posted pics from my phone very often. I would suggest using jpg pictures and the file needs to be 2MBs or less.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Here are some pictures of the fish.received_235311210570580.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Liam,
    I've used nothing but sponge filters for years. I think one large (Hydro V), or maybe two IV's would work fine. I think your air pump will be all you hear.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html

Steve

Registered Member

I went with mattenfliters from Swiss tropicals! I got two sheets so I can divide the aquarium in 3 and the whole system is all run by air. I also got the alita al-15 air pump.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Really beautiful pair. I can see the wild green influence.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ralph

Spectacular pair Liam and really think they will pump out some really nice offspring.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Hard to see but my pair laid their third set of eggs in three weeks of having them, this pair is insane! I've heard that if they breed too often the eggs are more unstable, should I try to limit them to only breeding once every two or three weeks or should I just let nature figure it out?IMG_20180531_194519__01.jpg

Real Name
    Ralph

There are many who would stumble into this thread and wish they had this problem. Lol
    You can separate the pair but if not I would let nature take it's course as the female will lay with or without the male.
    The only other thing I can add is if your using R/O just transition back to regular tap if your water perimeters are suitable.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

O...M...G...I looooove your freak'n discus.
    -Elliot

...one more thing... Hurry up and raise fry! Because I'm going to BEG you to sell & ship some of those to me. ...ok, I'll stop... but my jaw is still on the floor
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Update on the pair. The eggs turned white on the third day, starting to doubt if my water is soft enough to breed discus. However I changed the water two days later and they immediately began to lay more eggs! I might need to invest in a RO system if I want to breed discus.received_237656863669348.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Liamaxolotl19; 06-04-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liamaxolotl19 View Post
    Update on the pair. The eggs turned white on the third day, starting to doubt if my water is soft enough to breed discus. However I changed the water two days later and they immediately began to lay more eggs! I might need to invest in a RO system if I want to breed discus.received_237656863669348.jpg
    This is not normal. Pairs do recover fast after a failed spawn but its usually 1-2 weeks. . 5 days between laying is real short.
    Have ever you ever gotten any wigglers at all, even 1? And have you seen the male pass over the eggs while she was laying them.? From your water Id expect lower hatch rates but should see some.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Do you think they're both females? I purchased them as confirmed pair but I will pay more attention when they're breeding to see if they both lay.

Quote Originally Posted by Liamaxolotl19 View Post
    Do you think they're both females? I purchased them as confirmed pair but I will pay more attention when they're breeding to see if they both lay.
    Not Necessarily both females, but its odd that she is laying so many eggs.The male does look like its a male. They female could be not producing good eggs since she is making so many ... the male could also not be fertilizing. You should see him make passes over the eggs after she makes a a few runs laying, the male follows up. in Your water, I would expects at least a few wigglers to hatch out. The eggs look good, so maybe try increasing your water changes.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast