ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Experienced Discus keepers question

Real Name
    Patty

Default Experienced Discus keepers question

I’m curious to know if members here periodically deworm their discus? I’ve had mine just over a yr and a 1/2 and have never dewormed them. I’m wondering if most of you do a treatment as a preventative or what tells you to do it?
    Patty

Default Re: Experienced Discus keepers question

I don't. I know that if a Discus doesn't grow yet eats well it has worms and that if an adult Discus eats yet looses weight the problem is most likely worms. It's the only way I know that you can tell if you don't have a scope which I don't imagine you have.
    Mama Bear

Patty I treat all my new fish with dewormers when they are in Quarantine here. I treat for tape worms with praziquantel(1-2doses) and general worms with levamisole(3 doses). I do this treatment once ...not regularly.

It should not be necessary to periodically deworm fish if you get rid of all worms in the new fish while in Quaratine. Provided you dont re-introduce the worms in something like live food or snails.

The reason why I do this is because a fish can have worms for months and show no symptoms. Often by the time you figure theymay have worms they are stunted or have been dealing with secondary infections.

Thats my rationale at least.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks, in my case I have a couple stunted fish that eat well, but they also started laying eggs while they were still young and I read on SD that once they start laying eggs they stop growing. That does seem to have been what happened because I had another egg layer that was bigger, but she too seemed to stop growing at the same time she started laying eggs. I don’t feed live foods, and was told Kenny treats fish before shipping so I didn’t deworm them.
    I did have 1 assasin snail in the tank when I upgraded them to the 125 gal tank. Even though I used hero fish, I guess it wouldn’t show signs of worms in 6 weeks.
    I’ve seen this twitching in my BD several times and once I know he was feeling amorous, but not always. Last time I was getting ready to feed them and he came to the front of the tank and really twitched for a few seconds. That’s what had me concerned. They do go crazy for your fdbw though Al. Do you lace it with crack or something? JK!
    Thanks for your help
    Patty

Real Name
    Patty

I just searched threads and see my question about egg laying stunting growth has been asked and answered. As well as my other question. Sometimes you type in the right key words and sometimes you don’t. Sorry, I do try to search these threads and sometimes it gets confusing. Thanks for answering that same old question again.
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I just searched threads and see my question about egg laying stunting growth has been asked and answered. As well as my other question. Sometimes you type in the right key words and sometimes you don’t. Sorry, I do try to search these threads and sometimes it gets confusing. Thanks for answering that same old question again.
    Patty
    Apology not needed Patty! Glad you found the answer though!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images