AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My new discus adventure

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Default My new discus adventure

Okay, so i have always loved discus but never dove in. At this point in my life I had the chance so I decided to go for it. Two 65 wides and a forty gallon breeder and stands here I am. Note there is a 75 gal currently occupied by my flowerhorn that could be annexed should the need arise. I have dreams of becoming a successful breeder and some other things, but like I said it was time to go for it so I did. Ordered 13 discus, Red Dragons in hopes of growing them out and learning from the growout. Thus, using every opportunity I have to learn for when the "magic" happened. My order arrived today and I am just a little less than happy about my first ever experience with discus. Out of 14, one a courtesy only ten were alive. I know it happens but im a little hurt as I wanted them to arrive safely. The breeder was nice enough to replace these but still some where lost.
    Anyway, they are adjusting and I hope all goes well from here as there are still a few that im worried wont make it. These are all coin size babies. My photo skills are along for the ride as well so lets hope that I grow all the way around in this. Here are the survivors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: My new discus adventure

Hi Gabriel,
    I just dropped you a pm. Please reply to me there. In the meanwhile, these guys look very stressed. It happens. I would suggest adding 1-2 tablespoons table salt per 10 gal water for the stress. Dont even try to feed them until tomorrow afternoon. The ones alive now will probably snap back ok if you keep the water clean. Id like to see some more pics after they settle in. A few of them look like they are not the best shape but its hard to tell from the pics.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Gabriel, I am on the same boat like you. I have never kept any discus in my life until 18 days ago. I learn a lot from this forum and try not to make the same mistakes other did in their past. I am so happy with my 21 cute little guys schooling all the day in my 65 gal. I started with 3/4 inches babies and now they are almost all over 2 inches big. The secret is WC and good food. I did 80% WC in the morning and 100% WC in the evening every day. I feed them like 10 times a day and they are still hungry and begging for food all day long.

Good luck with your grow out. Very awarding to see your own fish getting bigger each day.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Gabriel,
    I just dropped you a pm. Please reply to me there. In the meanwhile, these guys look very stressed. It happens. I would suggest adding 1-2 tablespoons table salt per 10 gal water for the stress. Dont even try to feed them until tomorrow afternoon. The ones alive now will probably snap back ok if you keep the water clean. Id like to see some more pics after they settle in. A few of them look like they are not the best shape but its hard to tell from the pics.

hth,
    al
    I will be glad to post more later. They are actually doing much better now. Stress has lowered and 3 of them have been entertaining themselves with lip locking and throwing water at eachother. I think they will be okay, Im praying anyway. I have aged water on standby for 100% of my QT tank if need be but a planned 50% will be done tomorrow evening.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    Gabriel, I am on the same boat like you. I have never kept any discus in my life until 18 days ago. I learn a lot from this forum and try not to make the same mistakes other did in their past. I am so happy with my 21 cute little guys schooling all the day in my 65 gal. I started with 3/4 inches babies and now they are almost all over 2 inches big. The secret is WC and good food. I did 80% WC in the morning and 100% WC in the evening every day. I feed them like 10 times a day and they are still hungry and begging for food all day long.

Good luck with your grow out. Very awarding to see your own fish getting bigger each day.
    Thanks Eugene. I wish you the best success on your venture as well!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Just a little up date. All the babies are doing good. They are eating beefheart right now. I had no idea that discus especially young ones were so rowdy! I mean wow! What a sight. I will update pics after a water change this evening. I offered brine shrimp first but they don't seem to like that at all. Beef heart on the other hand is a hit right now.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Better than yesterday. Pics are right after a 90% w/c, 24 hours aged

DSC03601.jpg

DSC03635.jpg
    DSC03605.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Gabriel, these guys are looking good. In a couple weeks they should roundup a bit and look more like discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Thank you Pat. They are eating both frozen beef heart and frozen brine shrimp. I'm making Han's beef recipe this weekend to start them on that as well. I tell ya what. Hand shredding and grinding all those vitamins was some work. It was fun though, lol.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

DSC03667.jpg
    I was greeting this morning for the first time and it was awesome! Love these fish!

DSC03675.jpg
    DSC03676.jpg
    DSC03679.jpg
    Feeding frenzy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

DSC03685.jpg
    DSC03683.jpg
    DSC03681.jpg
    Made my first batch of lean beef mix today. Wow now that was a labor of love.

Real Name
    Rob

Looks like Kraft cheese slices, but made with Red Leicester

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by lastflea View Post
    Looks like Kraft cheese slices, but made with Red Leicester
    They absolutely love this stuff. Their bellies are huge! lol

Real Name
    Rob

How are the babies doing? Following with interest, as I'll soon be starting up my first grow tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

They are doing pretty good Rob. Thanks for asking. I think they are growing out ok. Sorry for the bad pic. Im right in the middle of a WC. DSC03690.jpg