AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Potassium Permanganate

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Potassium Permanganate

In processing how to "sterilize" my tank, plumbing and sump before I switch my 125 gal from tanganyikan cichlids to discus I have been considering pot. perm. as advised by Kenny.
    My question is:
    * if I add pot. perm to my glass tank before I drain it and let it dry out before re-filling, will it stain the silicone in my tank? (all Kenny's tanks are acrylic so he wasn't able to answer)

I was also considering adding chlorine and running this through my system before emptying and letting it dry out before re-filling.

I do realize that both options will kill off my BB and that my tank will need to be cycled again, but Kenny also offers mature sponge filters for sale with his stock...happy dayz

Any input or suggestions would be great. Thanks
    Last edited by danotaylor; 05-24-2018 at 04:16 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Potassium Permanganate

Hydrogen peroxide is better and faster clean tank but litlle dangerous

Real Name
    Steve

It's never stained my silicone that I can tell.

Registered Member

Never stained my hospital tank. Plus when the hydrogen peroxide neutralizes it, it turns clear anyways.

Real Name
    Daniel

I have a gallon bottle of hydroponics grade 30% hydrogen peroxide we used to spray for powdery mildew. It is called H2O2. Does anyone know how to dose HP for sterilizing my 125 gal? Thanks!

if the tank doesn't have fish in it, assuming I'm understanding correctly, the easiest and probably most effective way to steralize is just by using strong bleech. After you steralize just let it completely dry and the chlorine will be gone and you're pretty much done. I do still give it all a rinse though just to be certain Peroxide wouldn't be my choice for that job though because it won't stay viable in the tank long enough, changing simply into water and O2.

Len

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Len!
    So my tank is currently set up as a tanganyikan community tank. I am in the process of selling all my stock and switching back to a long time fav, discus. I am wanting to "clean house" once the tank is empty of it's current inhabitants, so as to start fresh, free from potential pathogens from the previous fishes.
    I was thinking pool chlorine originally...bleach will accomplish the same goal...cheers!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    if the tank doesn't have fish in it, assuming I'm understanding correctly, the easiest and probably most effective way to steralize is just by using strong bleech. After you steralize just let it completely dry and the chlorine will be gone and you're pretty much done. I do still give it all a rinse though just to be certain Peroxide wouldn't be my choice for that job though because it won't stay viable in the tank long enough, changing simply into water and O2.
    hi len
    i want to sterilize my entire system about 1000 gal , central filtered , what would you consider a strong bleach ?
    would a few gallon do it ,.....say 2-3 gallons ?
    right now i'm running PP through it but i want to get things sparkling clean before i re-introduce my discus again .

Registered Member

the best sterilize is hydrogen peroxide 30%

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Tuterosso View Post
    the best sterilize is hydrogen peroxide 30%
    As a spray or wipe on to the inside glass of the tank when it's empty? What about for cleaning Plumbing? How would you suggest we use the HP 30% to do that?

Registered Member

When using perhydrol, you need to use gloves and breathing mask(fck this stink) https://cxsafety.pl/ochrona-ukladu-o...0-30-ffp3.html
    Spray 200-300ml on 1L spray the entire aquarium, leave it to dry, or after 30 minutes wipe dry, I do it twice
    Cleaning the bucket filter, plumbing, aquarium and all stuff, Stink will be nice at the same time
    Filter, I attach to the bucket (30 liters), to which I pour perhydrol 300-400ml per 100L and leave for a few days to work, every day adding a portion of perhydrol (by eye). I also put the rest of the equipment into the bucket. Then I rinse everything thoroughly. Better work when light dont coming to aquarium.
    How it works you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2m7h-N5EwhQ