ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: African Biotope Sort Of

Real Name
    Shari

Default African Biotope Sort Of

Well, after many months of planning a Discus set up, I’ve been finding myself going with Ctenopoma fish and Congo Tetras and Featherfin Catfish.

They’re all babies in my 65 gallon quarantine tank and I’ll be adding another 5 Congo tetras and Bolivian Rams to it.

I know those Bolivian Rams aren’t African but they have nice personalities and Kribensis would go better.

I bought all my fish from The Wetspot Tropical.. I just couldn’t buy from local big chain pet stores after seeing unkempt sick or dead fish in tanks that probably hadn’t been cleaned in months.

All the fish are healthy,happy and growing. I even have plants growing in the bare bottom tank. Pothos,java fern, Anubis,banana plant and a potted Amazon mother plant.

I had a hard time before the fish doing a fishless cycle... I don’t know if it was the hard water here or what!.

So I did a 80% water change and added a seeded sponge filter from Angels Plus and put a few fish and bam!

I get some photos of the tank ... I happy with my choice and never knew how personable Leopard Bush Fish are.. they’re not beautiful like Discus but are alway curious and come up to the front of the tank to say hi.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: African Biotope Sort Of

Hi Sheri, definitely post some pics. Curious as to what the Leopard Bush Fish look like?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Shari

Real Name
    Patty

Nice fish Shari. Plants look lush too. What is the 2nd pic? I’m guessing the 1st pic is the leopard bush?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

The 2 fish in the middle foreground are Congo Tetras and the lone guy in the back is a Bolivian Butterfly, aka as a Bolivian Ram, the one to the right I think is a silver tetra

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

The Leopard Bush Fish definitely fits it's name. Thanks for posting pics Shari
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

This is my next tank as well, African Congo Riverine tank. Probably a 75 gallon.
    My focus will be Tetras, African tetras are beautiful.
    I already have two of the tetras that will go into my tank... Ill follow this with a couple pictures of the ones I already have. They are in my 180 with geophagus and biotodoma cupidos and wavirini.
    I am going to stick as closely as I can with the plants, fish, decor.
    These are the African tetras I have:
    phenocogrammus aurentiuus
    IMG_1774.JPG

phenocogrammus pulcher
    IMG_1653.JPG

These are the two I will add when set up tank or as soon as I can find them. They are hard to find.
    alestopetersius brichardi "cherry red"
    phenocogrammus "leukini"

Real Name
    Shari

All the smaller fish are young Congo Tetras. I have no substrate in the tank and java fern and Anubis are growing on driftwood and lava rock. I’ll be transferring the fish into my 125 later in the year. I’ll be putting and inch of organic potting soil and a cap of either Grow-Pro substrate or Ecocomplete as a cap. I didn’t mention this but I have two baby Featherfin Catfish in my 65 gallon so my tank is pushing maximum on bioload. I didn’t realize that there are Blue and Yellow Congo’s different species however and I’m a huge fan of Congos I’ve never kept them in the past. I’ve always had Rummynose and Cardinal Tetras.

Real Name
    Shari

This is what the tank looks like whole.
    Attached Images Attached Images