ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fishless Cycle with BCB question

Registered Member

Default Fishless Cycle with BCB question

Not too sure what is going on. I start the fishless cycle 2 weeks ago. Using Seachem Stability and Dr Tim's Ammonia. 180 Gallon with a 20 Gallon Eshopp sump, two K1 filters reactors and 1 BCB basket (9"X9"X9" - using Oil Dri and Laterite.)

Days 1 - Ammonia at 2 ppm, Nitrite at 0 ppm, Nitrate at 0 ppm, PH at 7.2 (my tab water is around 7.8). Temp 86
    Day 2 - 4 no changes
    Day 5 - Ammonia at 2 ppm, the Nitrite went up to .5 ppm, and the Nitrate stay at 0 ppm, PH at 7.0 Temp 86
    Day 6 - 7 no changes
    Day 8 added a large piece of Mopani Driftwood (which I've been soaking for over two weeks to remove the tannins). no changes except the PH down to 6.6
    Day 9 Ammonia at 2 ppm, the Nitrite went up to 1.0 ppm, and the Nitrate went up 10 ppm PH 6.6 Temp 86
    Day 10 no change
    Day 11 Ammonia at 2 ppm, the Nitrite went up to 1.0 ppm, and the Nitrate up to 40 ppm, PH down to 6.6 Temp 86
    Day 12 Did not test
    Day 13 Ammonia at 2 ppm (still?), Nitrite 1.0 ppm, Nitrate 80 ppm, PH down to 6.6 Temp 86
    Day 14 30% water change
    Today Ammonia at 2 ppm, the Nitrite went up to .25 ppm, and the Nitrate 80 ppm, PH down to 6.0 (maybe 6.4?) Temp 86

I don't understand why the Ammonia never drop and my PH is dropping. Should I do a bigger water change.

Any Help would be deeply appreciated

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5a0.jpg

Default Re: Fishless Cycle with BCB question

were you adding ammonia during that time? If not something about those numbers wasn't right and after nitrates started going up ammonia should have been going down.

Len

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    were you adding ammonia during that time? If not something about those numbers wasn't right and after nitrates started going up ammonia should have been going down.
    Hi Len,

I only added ammonia at the start; that was it. I am confused about the ammonia also. But the part concern me the most is the PH. I am getting some Discus this coming Thursday, was hoping the cycle will be done by then. Also, I see a lot of white bugs crawling on the glass looking like Planaria (probably from the driftwood)....

Should I try to raise the PH with some buffer and hope the cycle will start up? Or just dump all the water and start all over again?

Appreciate your input

Hogall

The pH shift looks normal while you're cycling the tank. You shouldn't buffer your pH at all. Just keep it consistent with plenty of water changes, but I wouldn't add fish yet because there's definitely something wrong with your readings. If you didn't add any more ammonia it would have to go down if the nitrites and nitrates are truly rising. Take a sample of your water to a pet shop and have them test it and see if there is a difference. I have a similar filtration system as you and I've had very good results by using the evolution aqua products sold by one of our sponsors (Inland Empire). Pure Pond is the one I dump in my fluid bed and it works fast.

Len

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The pH shift looks normal while you're cycling the tank. You shouldn't buffer your pH at all. Just keep it consistent with plenty of water changes, but I wouldn't add fish yet because there's definitely something wrong with your readings. If you didn't add any more ammonia it would have to go down if the nitrites and nitrates are truly rising. Take a sample of your water to a pet shop and have them test it and see if there is a difference. I have a similar filtration system as you and I've had very good results by using the evolution aqua products sold by one of our sponsors (Inland Empire). Pure Pond is the one I dump in my fluid bed and it works fast.
    For sure, hopefully it's the Test kit I brought it from Amazon, the lot date is good till 02/23.

I will def ck out Pure Pond. Thanks for your help

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I agree the ammonia should have dropped, what test are you using (I use Sera and API, Sera always gives me a moderate false positive). Have you tested just straight tapwater or r/o that should give you 0 (if not there is definitely something dodgy with the test)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    I agree the ammonia should have dropped, what test are you using (I use Sera and API, Sera always gives me a moderate false positive). Have you tested just straight tapwater or r/o that should give you 0 (if not there is definitely something dodgy with the test)
    Hi Paul

I am using API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Test it again this morning, Ammonia is about 1+ ppm, Nitrite is 0 ppm, Nitrate down to 20 ppm, PH is sitting 6.00. Not too sure the Anoxic Filtration Basket and the K1 reactor I am using together have something to do with it.

Water Test 26th.jpg

I am going to do a 50% water change tomorrow, and see what happen.. Something is not adding up; the Ammonia did drop but why did the Nitrite went down to 0

Hogall