AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: I did it!!

Registered Member

Default I did it!!

After a long time researching, and lurking on this forum, I finally got my discus. One of the few things I have learned, lead me to wait until I could afford discus that had been grown out. I currently have 5 5in in a 55 gal. Bare bottom tank. I know that 6 would be a better number but I got all 5 of them from the same person/tank and I was able to avoid quarantine. My question is do I need to add anything to the tank such as wood since the discus are grown. I was not sold on a bare bottom tank, or an "empty" tank but WOW, these fish are beautiful. People always would comment on my old planted angel tank, what a beautiful aquarium. Now, people are seeing my discus and saying, Wow, What beautiful fish! They don't seem too scidish or shy but I was still wondering if I need something in the tank to make them more secure.....thoughts?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Default Re: I did it!!

Congrats on your new discus! You dont "need" wood but a nice hardscape is appealing to the eyes as well. Soooo, do you have pics? Lets see those new babies!

Registered Member

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Wow from the pics they look huge. Very pretty!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliamaybe View Post
    After a long time researching, and lurking on this forum, I finally got my discus. One of the few things I have learned, lead me to wait until I could afford discus that had been grown out. I currently have 5 5in in a 55 gal. Bare bottom tank. I know that 6 would be a better number but I got all 5 of them from the same person/tank and I was able to avoid quarantine. My question is do I need to add anything to the tank such as wood since the discus are grown. I was not sold on a bare bottom tank, or an "empty" tank but WOW, these fish are beautiful. People always would comment on my old planted angel tank, what a beautiful aquarium. Now, people are seeing my discus and saying, Wow, What beautiful fish! They don't seem too scidish or shy but I was still wondering if I need something in the tank to make them more secure.....thoughts?
    Congrats on your first discus and I would suggest not adding anything to the tank. A 55 (IMO) is rather tight orders for discus and the wood simply takes away swimming room The discus look great. After they settle hopefully the strong bars will be less pronounced.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I am fine with the empty tank, as I said these fish don't need decorations! The picture was taken about 5 minutes after they were put in the tank, so they were stressed. They seem to be adjusting nicely. Thank you so much for the feedback. I will continue as is and let the fish themselves be the centerpiece in the tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Keep us updated with pics. I'd love to see how they settle in. Thanks in advance for the pics! P.S. can we get some full tank shots?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Congrats on taking the plunge and for the lovely looking fish. I am all for BB tanks (at least untill the fish are fully grown). Been growing mine out in a BB 100 gal and they always seemed perfectly comfortable and never seemed to be missing somwhere to hide.

Real Name
    Patty

Very nice looking fish. Can’t wait to see more pics and names of those big lugs.
    Patty

Registered Member

Beautiful fish.

If you have the space & the finances you should definitely try and upgrade to a bigger tank. The Discus would look spectacular with an aquascape and some dither fish in say a 120 gal.