NADA     Aquatic foods

Thread: Quarantining new Sterbai's

iTrader
    Real Name
    Kevin

Default Quarantining new Sterbai's

I'm picking up 30 new Sterbai's from a local breeder to go into some of my tanks. I have a 40 gallon quarantine tank ready to go and was curious what does everyone does as far as deworming etc. Do you treat with prazi and levamisole only or do you look/treat for anything specifically with corydora's ?

iTrader
    4 (100%)

Default Re: Quarantining new Sterbai's

In addition to the two meds you mentioned, I like treating new catfish with Rid Ich + (malachite green/formalin combo) for chilodonella. Not sure if it bothers discus of any age, but it kills juvenile catfish like nothing else. It's relatively gentle, but up aeration and temp if you can.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    In addition to the two meds you mentioned, I like treating new catfish with Rid Ich + (malachite green/formalin combo) for chilodonella. Not sure if it bothers discus of any age, but it kills juvenile catfish like nothing else. It's relatively gentle, but up aeration and temp if you can.
    I've heard of chilodonella in the past but I am not familiar with it. Definitely something that I will do some more research on. Thanks

iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Willie

I don't treat sterbais at all. If I'm looking to spawn them, I'll do a Formalin treatment (3 drops per gallon with aeration for an hour). But nothing for the discus tanks. I have three dozen in my tanks. Never had a disease problem with them.

Most of mine arrive via mail order. I quarantine them mostly for their own sake. Cories sometimes nick each other and die a week later from the wound. After that, they go straight into the discus tanks.

Willie
    Whenever you feel stupid, remember that there are people out there looking for Pokemon.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Patty

Interesting thread since I was also considering adding some sterbae to my 2 tanks.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Kevin

The breeder that I picked them up from says he's working with the same breeding stock for over 25 years and doesn't import from outside sources for fear of losing his genetics. I have bought sterbai's in the past from him but I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to a tank with over 25 discus in it. So far, they all look good and I don't spot any concerns with the naked eye.