AquaticSuppliers.com     Australian Blackworms

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

  1. #1
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7
    iTrader
    0

    Exclamation Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Hi,

    I'm new to Discus hobby and I encounter this problem (see photos) and I don't know how to treat it.

    Before I thought it was Ich so I tried several medications i.e. ParaGuard, Nox Ich for several weeks.

    Can someone identify & help me how to cure this? Is this contagious?

    Thank you very much for your help.

    -Jopgo
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Moderator Team RogueDiscus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    2,023
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Steve

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Hi Jopco and welcome to Simply Discus. Sorry you're having trouble. Conditions like this are often the result of water quality issues. Can you tell us more about your tank set up, other fish, filtration, and what your water change regimen is. That will folks more to go on.

  3. #3
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Jopco and welcome to Simply Discus. Sorry you're having trouble. Conditions like this are often the result of water quality issues. Can you tell us more about your tank set up, other fish, filtration, and what your water change regimen is. That will folks more to go on.
    Hi,

    Thank you for your quick response and for welcoming me.

    I have the ff set up/info:

    37 gallons aquarium bare bottom
    6 discus fish 3"-4"
    4 angel fish (small size)
    1 pleco
    Penn-Plax cascade -100gals canister filter (every week I clean this)
    Water change every other 2-3 days
    Feeding schedule 3x a day (every meal 3 cubes bloodworm and tetra color granules)

    I only have this problem on my that single discus, others don't show any sign of infection/disease.
    Should I separate this discus?

    Thank you again. Appreciate your help.

    Jopgo

  4. #4
    Administrator brewmaster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Northford,CT,USA
    Posts
    21,606
    Blog Entries
    5
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Hi,
    I would set up a hospital tank and do a salt dip on this fish &place it in the hospital tank.I agree with Steve its probably water quality but it looks like the fish is developing bacteria issues. If the salt dip doesnt clear that up I would use something like furan 2. Pretty sure a dip and clean water will work.

    Your tank is a bit crowded. You mention you do wcs every 2-3 days but not the volume of water changed.I'd suggest you bump that up.Discus rarely get these issues except when water quality is less than optimal.

    hth,

    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!


    >>>>>Do YOU LIKE SIMPLYDISCUS?? Please help Support it today, so its here tomorrow .. DONATE HERE Thanks!


    Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

    SimplyDiscus, where the cool fish swim...

  5. #5
    Registered Member bluelagoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Halifax,Canada
    Posts
    1,120
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Mervin

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Hi,When I quarantined 4 new discus about 4" in a 40 gal.I found that I needed to change out 80% of the aged water daily in that tank.I think your tank is way over stocked for it's size.In time just a pair of angels will do the best in that size tank.The discus need out as soon as possible and into a 55 gal at the smallest.Looks like dirty water issues,pimples are a sign of that.They will go away once the water becomes cleaner.

  6. #6
    Moderator Team & Homesteader Altum Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,198
    iTrader
    5 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ralph

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    All great advise and hope it helps clear the problem which I'm confident is water quality related.
    Just wanted to touch on your filter...is that the only filter you have and do you use tap or tank water when cleaning it?

    ...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

  7. #7
    Moderator Team RogueDiscus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    2,023
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Steve

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Good catch Ralph! Jopgo, chlorinated tap water could be killing off your filter's beneficial bacteria, which is the reason for the question.

  8. #8
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi,
    I would set up a hospital tank and do a salt dip on this fish &place it in the hospital tank.I agree with Steve its probably water quality but it looks like the fish is developing bacteria issues. If the salt dip doesnt clear that up I would use something like furan 2. Pretty sure a dip and clean water will work.

    Your tank is a bit crowded. You mention you do wcs every 2-3 days but not the volume of water changed.I'd suggest you bump that up.Discus rarely get these issues except when water quality is less than optimal.

    hth,

    al
    Hi Brewmaster,

    Thank you for the advice. I water change 50% 2-3 days, I will try my best to do water change everyday/every other day and salt dip my discus let you know the result.

    Thank you again,

    Regards,
    Jopgo

  9. #9
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Hi,When I quarantined 4 new discus about 4" in a 40 gal.I found that I needed to change out 80% of the aged water daily in that tank.I think your tank is way over stocked for it's size.In time just a pair of angels will do the best in that size tank.The discus need out as soon as possible and into a 55 gal at the smallest.Looks like dirty water issues,pimples are a sign of that.They will go away once the water becomes cleaner.
    Hi Bluelagoon,

    Thank you for the advice, unfortunately, I only have 1 tank I might donate the other angels back to my fish store. Thank you.

    Regards,
    Jopgo

  10. #10
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    All great advise and hope it helps clear the problem which I'm confident is water quality related.
    Just wanted to touch on your filter...is that the only filter you have and do you use tap or tank water when cleaning it?

    ...Ralph
    Hi Ralph,

    Yes, I only have the penn-plax 100g canister filter(which I only clean once a week). I use tap water and Prime to condition my water.

    Do I need to add another filter? is there something wrong with this?

    Thank you in advance

    Regards,
    Jopgo

  11. #11
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Good catch Ralph! Jopgo, chlorinated tap water could be killing off your filter's beneficial bacteria, which is the reason for the question.
    Hi RougeDiscus,

    I use prime for my tap water is this enough? or should I use another water conditioner?

    Thank you!

    Regards,
    Jopgo

  12. #12
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    27,665
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Hi Jopgo,

    I think what Steve meant is if you use tap water when you clean your filter? If so please use tank water so you do not kill off your beneficial bacteria. Chlorine/Chlormine will do that if untreated.

    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

  13. #13
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Jopgo,

    I think what Steve meant is if you use tap water when you clean your filter? If so please use tank water so you do not kill off your beneficial bacteria. Chlorine/Chlormine will do that if untreated.

    Pat
    Hi Pat,

    I see sorry I misunderstood that, yes I use tap water to clean my filter. I will use the tank water from now on.

    Thank you very much.

    Regards,
    Jopgo

  14. #14
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    27,665
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: Sick Discus, white spots on the body and rotting fins and tail

    Quote Originally Posted by jopgo View Post
    Hi Pat,

    I see sorry I misunderstood that, yes I use tap water to clean my filter. I will use the tank water from now on.

    Thank you very much.

    Regards,
    Jopgo
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

NADA             AquaticSuppliers.com