ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Blackout needed?

Registered Member

Default Blackout needed?

How do other members deal with green water caused by an algae bloom and how long does it take to clear the water?

Planted 125 IMP Gallon tank; P04 0.1ppm, N03 <5ppm, PH 6.8, Temp 28.5C, No Ammonia/Nitrite. 35 - 40 gallon daily water changes.

Clearly the 2 LED strip lights combined with 3 T5s over time have been partly, if not fully responsible for the algae bloom. Last week the Pro Flora C02 system went live which will hopefully boost the C02 levels sufficiently to handle plant growth and the respective demand for carbon.

My question is, I turned the LEDs off totally on Saturday leaving just the 3 T5s, how long will it take to, or will it even, clear the tank? Is the other way failing this a total blackout with only ambient room lighting left so the fish can see? The tank is not over stocked and the fish not over fed hence the water quality however I know the C02 levels are low <15ppm which I'm trying to address.

How do I clear the water? this is step 1 for me then I can start testing what duration is needed for the LEDs for optimum plant growth without algae. The fish are totally fine.

Many thanks. Branch

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Re: Blackout needed?

A blackout typically means lights off for a weekend, tank wrapped in black plastic. Total darkness.

Then a drastic reduction in the amount of light/nutrients/CO2. Are the lights on a timer? Photoperiod is the most common cause of algae bloom IMO.

Real Name
    Mervin

Also,8-9 hours of light is enough for good plant growth.

Registered Member

Well I started by reducing the photoperiod on the LEDs to no avail and so I turned them off altogether leaving just the 3 T5s on. There seems to be a marginal improvement today but nothing earth shattering. Rob has suggested dosing with EI to nourish the plants as this may be the cause of the algae. Up until now I've relied upon the fish waste and uneaten food for plant feed! Branch