AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Causes of Infertility

Default Causes of Infertility

Posts in the thread were moved from here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-LizStreihorst.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    @ Liz.Do you believe that when angels are artificially reared that they do not make great parents.I have 8 albino dantum angels about 14 months old.The males do not seem interested or mature and do not pass over the spawn.I have reared angels in the past with no issues(about 12 years ago).Just getting back into one of my favorite fish again.
    No, I don't believe that Mervin. I'm quite sure that most of the Angels I have purchased have been artificially raised. It's just me. Seeing the parents raise their kids and bite my hand when I do WC brings me joy. Raising them in jars myself is depressing work for me. Who knows why.

Albinos are difficult simply because they are albinos. Since these sell for a lot it is possible that they were fed hormones to render them sterile. It happens with some valuable Asian Discus. It's not talked about but I know from experience that it happens. It could be that it happens with valuable Asian Angels, too. I don't know.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-29-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added reply quote and link
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: New angels from LizStreihorst

Interesting.Thank you

Uncle Sam's posted a thread about it but I was the only one who responded and it went nowhere. You should go look for it. I have had two experiences buying ridiculously expensive Discus that were either totally sterile or almost sterile. But all I have is my personal experience. I have no hard evidence. I think that this discussion of hormoned fish should explode. I would like to light the fuse but I would be putting my reputation on the line without hard evidence.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Hummmm! Would just the males be sterile?The females are laying eggs.Just happened again.Doesn't sterile mean no sperm nor eggs?

I didn't intend to open a can of worms on this nice thread but I did.

Due to the effect of the hormones most of the fish that would have been female turn male. Fertility of both sexes is either greatly reduced of non existent. I don't know if this happens with Angelfish but it can be done with Discus, I'm very sure that it could be done with Angels.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Causes of Infertility

Now in their own tank.Today the eggs are still on the cone and are still clear not cloudy.The male seems more interested in the spawn today.This is about the forth time she has spawned and large at that(200-300 eggs).Another female spawned in the main tank and same thing there;the males don't get it right.

While not "infertile," 200-300 eggs is not very many. I assume it's a young fish?

Real Name
    Mervin

Now that I sorta counted looks more over 500.From what I've read on this strain,it takes about 14 months to mature rather than the 8-12 months for other strains.Also,it takes longer for them to reach a bigger size.Also,I have read they can find it difficult to find their first food because of poor eye sight in their first days.I bought them last May 2017 at dime size.Or about 2 months old.

Real Name
    Mervin

I had 11 but sold 3 of the most undesirable.

I think that all you are dealing with is a slow maturing strain. Albinos are problematic.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Well,Looks like we're fertile.I can't do pics.Can't get a good close up focus on them where there are at,but before I went to bed last night I say tails on the eggs.This morning they are still on the cone.I watched her lay the eggs;I don't know when he passed over them cause I watched.Must have been the 5 minutes I had my back turned.Now to get them to find food in a few days,if they survive.

Mervin when I bred albino angels the fry did have alot of trouble finding the food the first few days but they out grew it after that. What worked for me was put several more times bbs in the tank then I would for discus. So many that the fry would bump into the bbs.
    hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mervin

Thanks Al,I am going to lower the water level a bit also.It is only a 20 gal tank.All were fertile except 8 which turned white.They are being moved around now and some are in front where I can see them.Sorry to have changed subject matter of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Thanks Al,I am going to lower the water level a bit also.It is only a 20 gal tank.All were fertile except 8 which turned white.They are being moved around now and some are in front where I can see them.Sorry to have changed subject matter of this thread.
    It helps a lot to have very dim light...or ambient room light, so as not to blind their sight too....
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Mugwump, knows way much more about raising Angels than I do. Pay attention to what he says, Mervin.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast