AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pat's Tank Questionaire

Default Pat's Tank Questionaire

I fiigured this would be as good a place to start as any, so here goes-

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

I have been in the hobby since I was a teenager (now in my 60's). When I was growing up in New York, we had many aquariums in our apartment, many salt tanks (my old man took care of them), and fresh as well. I have kept discus, scats, oscars, arrowanas and many others, always fresh water varieties.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

Though I have had experience, I am still trying to digest as much as I can. I have had failures in the past that I don't want to repeat.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

I am now running 4 tanks total. 2 20 gallon for quarantine/hospital, a 55 for growing out little ones and my newest tank is a 180 I had made by a group of folks frequently seen on TV. The 20's are doing well, the 180 is nearly completely cycled, but due to a kitchen remodel, won't have fish in it for about another month. The 55 is close to being ready as I am going to use it for the first group of fish to go in the big tank. The big tank is in the kitchen/dinng room, while the others are in the basement below the kitchen.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

BB all. It's all about the fish now.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

I have the basement setup to make water changes easy. Daily water changes are not a problem for any of them.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

The 20's have sponge filters in them while the 55 and 180 have sumps.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _84____

- tank ph _7____

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7___

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water __Yes__

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

I hope to get about 18 in the big tank. My supplier is a guy named Kenny in California (perhaps you've heard of him). His fish are incredible and he treats me great.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Twice daily

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

I just want my fish to be happy and healthy.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Pat's Tank Questionaire

Hi Billy, sounds good Billy! What sized discus are you considering and what is your WC schedule for the 180?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Default Re: Pat's Tank Questionaire

Pat - I am currently growing out 8 discus in two different 20 gallon tanks (6 of them I got 3 weeks ago). I also now have 9 4-6" discus in the 55. I'm doing 50% WC in the 55 twice a day and 50% in the 20's once a day. As far as WC in the big tank, I'm not sure yet. The way everything is setup, it's relatively easy to do, but draining and replacing close to 100 gallons definitely takes some time.