AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Levamisole HCL every 48 Hours

Real Name
    Harry

Default Levamisole HCL every 48 Hours

Hey All,

Ive been reading about Capillaria and how to dose Levamisole HCL on Discus and its quite common to dose 2-3mg/l for 24 hours.
    There has been few adverse reactions to Levamisole HCL.
    Levamisole HCL has worked for most people after the first dose (I havent heard complaints).
    Prognosis after the follow up dose at 2-3 weeks has also been effective (i also havent heard complaints).

However, i think there is reason to rethink our dosing regime for Discus.
    Because in the Capillaria section of the University of Florida Article below, Capillaria eggs will hatch in 3 weeks at 68-73F.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/m/#publication?id=FA091

It says higher temperatures will make the eggs hatch sooner.
    So we can assume at 73F that eggs will hatch in 2 weeks and maybe we can assume eggs at 78F will hatch in 1 week.
    Now many discus tanks at at 82-86F, so maybe the eggs will hatch in days (within week)?

In that case, would it be wise to dose Levamisole HCL at 3mg/l every 48 hours for the first 8 days?
    Then a follow up dose 7 days later?
    Then a final follow up dose 7 days later?
    Im just wondering if we could make an improvement on dosing schedule by frequent doses during the first week?

Cheers,
    -Harry

Default Re: Levamisole HCL every 48 Hours

Quote Originally Posted by Fishworks View Post
    Hey All,

Ive been reading about Capillaria and how to dose Levamisole HCL on Discus and its quite common to dose 2-3mg/l for 24 hours.
    There has been few adverse reactions to Levamisole HCL.
    Levamisole HCL has worked for most people after the first dose (I havent heard complaints).
    Prognosis after the follow up dose at 2-3 weeks has also been effective (i also havent heard complaints).

However, i think there is reason to rethink our dosing regime for Discus.
    Because in the Capillaria section of the University of Florida Article below, Capillaria eggs will hatch in 3 weeks at 68-73F.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/m/#publication?id=FA091

It says higher temperatures will make the eggs hatch sooner.
    So we can assume at 73F that eggs will hatch in 2 weeks and maybe we can assume eggs at 78F will hatch in 1 week.
    Now many discus tanks at at 82-86F, so maybe the eggs will hatch in days (within week)?

In that case, would it be wise to dose Levamisole HCL at 3mg/l every 48 hours for the first 8 days?
    Then a follow up dose 7 days later?
    Then a final follow up dose 7 days later?
    Im just wondering if we could make an improvement on dosing schedule by frequent doses during the first week?

Cheers,
    -Harry
    Harry , although temperature can speed up some parasites life cycle its not linear like your assumption. Theres biological constraints on how long an egg takes to develop or a larvael stage takes.Temperature can affect that rate but not to the degree you are thinking here.

I answered your dosing question in your other related thread here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...s&goto=newpost

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images