ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: First time wrigglers

Registered Member

Default First time wrigglers

Hi all,
    i have a pair of Stendker in my community tank that have regulary layed and ate eggs but i didn't mind that as i have no time or place to raise the fry. As i used to breed various types of fish (but never discus) before i know how much effort does it take to raise healthy fish and i decided that i won't do it any more.
    But yesterday it is the first time that they didn't ate them and they transfered wrigglers to a new spot. Something clicked in me, old instincts woke up and now i want to save and raise them!
    Is it possible to move them to new tank (they are on a log) with the parents? Or maybe just one parent (tha male looks more eager).
    Or should i just wait for the next spawn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGUJezroRZU

Default Re: First time wrigglers

Nice vid clip

Its a very cool thing to watch, isnt it. I tell myself all the time that I should not breed my pairs anymore but then they go and have wigglers and it just "clicks"

I would wait for the next spawn at this point. Its too hard to move the fry with the parents. Best to give the pair their own bare 29 gal tank and enjoy the show.. They may still raise them but odds are they will be so stressed they will eat them or the fry will die.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Kevin

I've noticed that with my breeding pairs, if I hang around the tank or do a large wipe down that they can become nervous and decide to eat their eggs or fry. I typically try to leave the fish alone for as long as possible and not interfere when they are spawning.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Nice vid clip

Its a very cool thing to watch, isnt it. I tell myself all the time that I should not breed my pairs anymore but then they go and have wigglers and it just "clicks"

I would wait for the next spawn at this point. Its too hard to move the fry with the parents. Best to give the pair their own bare 29 gal tank and enjoy the show.. They may still raise them but odds are they will be so stressed they will eat them or the fry will die.

hth,
    al
    Off course that is a logic thing to do. Maybe a new boost of enthusiasm made me think otherwise. When i saw them twiching i somehow wanted to save them.