ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Was this reducing my RO's efficiency?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Was this reducing my RO's efficiency?

I have two RO filters working in parallel (same pressure) feeding into brute containers. The tubes hang in to the bottom of the containers. I recently had to turn off the water source feed line, and the next day noticed that what had been in the container had siphoned out, I guess to the drain line. So, I clipped the product lines to the top of the containers to drip into them. They seem to be filling much faster than when they were in the containers. Could the water pressure as the container filled have been working against the filter?

Default Re: Was this reducing my RO's efficiency?

Curious. Any changes in temp? That and pressure are the only things I know 100% affect RO flow rate. Is your membrane old? Maybe the siphon flushed the membrane and knocked some impurities off of it. Maybe shortening the line reduced drag. Just throwing out ideas.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Was this reducing my RO's efficiency?

They're outside so some temp change, but we're talking about a possible day to day change. The RO membranes are less than 6 mo old, but I do have very hard water and probably should backflush them more often. It is time to change the pre filters.