pic of month     Golden State Discus

Thread: 48 & Counting

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Brian

Smile 48 & Counting

I've been a loyal customer since my first order back in October 2017. Since that initial purchase, I've reordered 4 more times. Needless to say there are reasons why you should consider working with this guy (in no particular order):

1. He knows his discus: Kenny has been involved in the hobby since he was a teenager. The hobbyist throughout the years eventually became a really hard-working distributor who puts out impressive monthly shipping lists.

2. Customer service: He's reachable via email and text. Once you place your order, he usually gets back to you immediately to confirm. He makes suggestions based on your order and in the end, you'll end up with a nice group.

3. He cares: He wants to know how the fish arrived, if they're doing well. If you have problems, you can contact him and he'll give you suggestions. It's not all about just making a buck, he wants to make sure that you are satisfied with your investment.

4. Quality: I can't stress this enough. Every time I get a shipment delivered, it's like Christmas morning. The unboxing is one of the best experiences. Even though it takes several weeks for the discus to regain their full coloration, you can see the quality of your purchase from the moment you open the box. They're breathtaking!

5. Shipping & Handling: Two ways for you to get your discus - either via FedEx or Southwest Cargo. Every package is packed so well I don't understand how he does this by himself without a minion of helpers! Each discus is placed in methylene blue water with oxygen and placed in several layers of thick gauge plastic bags. The purpose is that just in case the discus pierces one of the bags, there is a safeguard so that it won't run out of water. Heat packs are added and he makes sure that the temperature to the destination is safe for shipping. Let's put it this way... the water in the bag is still warm!

6. Choices: This is the blessing and curse of working with Kenny... if you have no self-control, you'll be close to foreclosure! Each month I always find something that I want. There are so many strains that he offers, it will blow your mind.

The one advice that discus hobbyist often tell you is to work with one distributor. Well when it comes to Asian discus, he's your guy... enough said.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Default Re: 48 & Counting

Brian,
    Kenny obviously sent you many really nice discus ! But you obviously have done a phenomenal job with them. They look great! Probably one of the nicest looking "paint bucket" group I have seen in a hobbyist tank in a while.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the complement, Al! Doing all those water changes and feeding them discus crack aka freeze dried blackworms has surely paid off. It also helps having a good stock from the get-go. BTW, I should also mention that your slide presentation on discus has helped me a lot as well. It’s such a good primer for hobbyists that want to get their feet wet.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by breviceps View Post
    Thanks for the complement, Al! Doing all those water changes and feeding them discus crack aka freeze dried blackworms has surely paid off. It also helps having a good stock from the get-go. BTW, I should also mention that your slide presentation on discus has helped me a lot as well. It’s such a good primer for hobbyists that want to get their feet wet.
    Awesome! I am so glad to hear it!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

iTrader
    Real Name
    Kevin

Beautiful tank Brian, Please consider doing a tank journal. I would love to see your build and all the specs of your tank.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Patty

Everything you said about Kenny is right on the mark! He really takes the time to tell you things that maybe other sellers wouldn’t such as peppering when they get older. When a fish that I wanted was sold out, he recommended a much less expensive fish (yes he did!) that he promised would be just as beautiful and it is just as he said it would be. He sets a very high bar!
    Your should be very proud of those beauties-wow! How big is that tank? That’s a dream come true kinda tank! Also looks like I see a couple more tanks through the glass?
    Patty

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Everything you said about Kenny is right on the mark! He really takes the time to tell you things that maybe other sellers wouldn’t such as peppering when they get older. When a fish that I wanted was sold out, he recommended a much less expensive fish (yes he did!) that he promised would be just as beautiful and it is just as he said it would be. He sets a very high bar!
    Your should be very proud of those beauties-wow! How big is that tank? That’s a dream come true kinda tank! Also looks like I see a couple more tanks through the glass?
    Patty
    It's 220 gallons with two overflows and a 40 gallon breeder sump. Yeah I have several tanks in the mancave. LOL!

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Patty

Great idea Kevin; I’d like to know more about how you make this work too Brian.

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Great idea Kevin; I’d like to know more about how you make this work too Brian.
    Hi Kevin & Patty,

I originally started out with a 93 gallon Marineland frameless cube with a single overflow and a sump. I knew it was a temporary housing and my end goal is to get a big tank. The logistics was mainly the issue why it took me a while to get my 220 gallons. I had to rent a van, drive to That Pet Place in Pennsylvania to buy everything, meet with a moving company to lift this close to 400 lb tank into position. Instead of buying an expensive sump, I decided I just wanted to get an aquarium instead and a 40 gallon breeder was the perfect size. I did have to hammer out one of the support beams to fit it in.

The sump consists of a return pump that is Y'd so that I don't have to deal with two pumps to return water into the tank. It has a double XL Eshopps sock holder, two 200 watt Eheim Jager heater. For biological media, my go-to Eheim Substrat Pro and two packages of lava rock alternative called Atlantic Water Gardens Bio-Rock Media. I partitioned 1/3rd of the sump to add K1 micro filter media which is still in the works (I need to get 2 more packages of the media and a large air pump to make this effective). For the lighting, I have a BeamWorks DA FSPEC LED light with a timer module.

As for inside the tank, I have 2 Hydor Koralia 3G 2450GPH circulation pumps and three pieces of manzanita wood. I like my discus tanks bare-bottom and very minimalist because my belief is that the attention should be focused on the discus and not the decorations.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Patty

Nice job. Someday I’m going to have a woman cave.

iTrader
    6 (100%)

Awesome!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar
    iTrader
    371 (100%)

Thank you Brian! It's always a pleasure working with you thanks for your support and feedback! Tank simply looks awesome!

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5