ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posting ... the ultimate pay it forward pay it back

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

Default Re: Posting ... the ultimate pay it forward pay it back

I couldn't agree more. I joined here in 2014 made 4 or 5 posts as I was gonna start back into the hobby after 20 years. Then things happened and I didn't get started till now a few months ago and I have seen a change from the first time I joined back then. I remember a lot of people posting and talking. Now it seems a handful of regulars post here. It's a shame really. This is a great forum and lots of good people here. Things in the discus hobby have changed from 25 years ago and lots of knowledge on this site. For me it is fun to share and see what others have to share.

Sean

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

I rather consult on a forum that have to deal with 1000 sidewalk professors of social media. Some of the info out there is just disastrous. Youtube is becoming the same way.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    I agree with all these points, particularly that a veterinarian with a discus bug is a good thing (me being one, albeit on early retirement!). I have noticed a similar thing happening to a number of (fish) forums both international like African Cichlid Hub (I said I have a discus bug but not just that one, I caught the mbuna one way earlier) and the local Italian ones. As Al pointed out a post on a reputable forum allows the contributions to gain depth in a coherent way and you know who are the fishkeeping with decades of experience who's advice can be trusted. This "fad" with Facebook groups to me seems suited only for folk with attention deficit disorder but it may well erode the base even of good forums, so we better do our best not to allow this to happen (I'll try harder - for all it is worth!) Ciao
    Paul,
    I’ve read many of your posts, most recently the cat food and nutritional needs of discus yesterday (my current focus). I can thank Al for my diabolical plan to covert my niece to discus keeping and I only blame him in case my plan works and she stumbles upon this post. I’m sticking with the “He started it” defense. Ha ha
    You both (and so many others) have been the reason for my success and hopefully, in the future... my niece’s...(insert sinister laugh here)
    Patty

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Paul,
    I’ve read many of your posts, most recently the cat food and nutritional needs of discus yesterday (my current focus). I can thank Al for my diabolical plan to covert my niece to discus keeping and I only blame him in case my plan works and she stumbles upon this post. I’m sticking with the “He started it” defense. Ha ha
    You both (and so many others) have been the reason for my success and hopefully, in the future... my niece’s...(insert sinister laugh here)
    Patty
    Thanks, I firmly believe that good forums are invaluable as a source of knowledge and experience (just think of all the searchable posts that have been banked for future reference) but also to broaden one's horizons exchanging ideas (not necessarily just discus related) with people from all over the world and it would be a real shame if this possibility should be diminished by the ephemeral whims of social media. I started swatting well in advance of getting my fish and argued a fair bit on on one of the Italian discus forums (Mondo Discus), I do not entirely agree with their prevailing philosophy but enjoyed it nonetheless, but even over these short two years it seems to be withering, just one measly contribution yesterday and none today yet! So I will head Al's call to arms and put some effort into it, as my fish are coming up to their first birthday I will net some, measure and weigh them and report what I have done so far and the results it has yealded, warts and all hoping it will be of some interest and some use. If we all strive to put "meat" on the bones of the forum hopefully it will always appear inviting. Ciao

Real Name
    Bill G.

I'm new to this forum, but have been in several insect forums for many years. This forum is awesome. Besides getting all kinds of good advice, it was through this site/forum that I got my terrific fish (from Kenny C.), obtained the ultimate food with color enhancers, and picked up ideas that I customized to meet my needs. When I belonged to another fish forum, it was much less friendly.......they kinda seemed stuck up and their way was the only way. Discussion here is friendly and non-threatening which invites people to post. I sincerely believe that my getting into Discus was made a lot easier and more successful having this site/forum available to me. Good job to all those who make this site what it is.....the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    I'm new to this forum, but have been in several insect forums for many years. This forum is awesome. Besides getting all kinds of good advice, it was through this site/forum that I got my terrific fish (from Kenny C.), obtained the ultimate food with color enhancers, and picked up ideas that I customized to meet my needs. When I belonged to another fish forum, it was much less friendly.......they kinda seemed stuck up and their way was the only way. Discussion here is friendly and non-threatening which invites people to post. I sincerely believe that my getting into Discus was made a lot easier and more successful having this site/forum available to me. Good job to all those who make this site what it is.....the best.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I am glad to hear it!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    I agree with all these points, particularly that a veterinarian with a discus bug is a good thing (me being one, albeit on early retirement!). I have noticed a similar thing happening to a number of (fish) forums both international like African Cichlid Hub (I said I have a discus bug but not just that one, I caught the mbuna one way earlier) and the local Italian ones. As Al pointed out a post on a reputable forum allows the contributions to gain depth in a coherent way and you know who are the fishkeeping with decades of experience who's advice can be trusted. This "fad" with Facebook groups to me seems suited only for folk with attention deficit disorder but it may well erode the base even of good forums, so we better do our best not to allow this to happen (I'll try harder - for all it is worth!) Ciao
    Hey Paul, I've seen you here on the forum and never realized you were a veterinarian. So am I. Also in early retirement, with the discus bug as well as the angelfish bug, ram bug and livebearers' bug.
    I'm happy to share my veterinary knowledge and experience any time I think I can be of help.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Hey Paul, I've seen you here on the forum and never realized you were a veterinarian. So am I. Also in early retirement, with the discus bug as well as the angelfish bug, ram bug and livebearers' bug.
    I'm happy to share my veterinary knowledge and experience any time I think I can be of help.
    Same here, I worked mostly in small animal practice and some exotics (mainly in Surrey, Staffordshire and Warwickshire). I now enjoy looking after my own rather than someone else's animals. Got 29 dogs (mostly rescues), 22 cats (mostly rescues, currently bottle feeding 3), 2 horses, 3 pet pigs and ornamental fowl (Runner ducks, Brahma and Serama chicken). Fish-wise, other than Discus I have 2 mbuna tanks, a Southamerican planted community and a nano-southamerican, a fantail tank, 2 betta, a nano Southeast Asia and now starting with Killies. Just got some Aphanius mento ""Kirkgoz"(originally from Turkey) and on Wednesday should get some Poropanchax normanni (Norman's lampeye - originally from West Africa). This last year I have also ventured into "outdoor fishkeeping", with a big tub-pond for goldfish, one ready for the Aphanius, one for Rainbow Shiners (also arriving Wednesday) and one for ricefish. I find many discus-keepers love keeping also a variety of other fish and animals in general - must be why I find this forum so congenial! Do you think we should ask Al for a section where we can discuss fish other than Discus and their tank mates (nothing fancy, no need for individual sections about each type of fish under the sun - just "rest of the fish world" kind of thing)? Really worried by the downward trend I see in many fishkeeping forums. Today it is my discus' first birthday so as I am getting ready to do today's water change I will net a few, measure and weigh them and post a summary on this forum hoping it will be of some intetest. Ciao from Italy
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 06-10-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Fish-keeping posts in various groups on Facebook contain opinions, not discussion. The format encourages short answers that are devoid of context or denies complexity.

Look at the comments generated in response to an online article following a tragedy, an election,a controversial passage of a law, for instance. The incapacity of social media as a site for productive discussion is daily evident.

Dialogue needs to circulate to reach depth. It should be truth-seeking and to do this requires more than one post. Actually, it should begin with questions prior to opinion; but, like I said, it denies it. The flaw is in the format.

The limits of Facebook are a by-product of a larger issue, however.

The computer age has created a mediated, "by proxy" relationship between humans. Interpersonal relationships and the verbal skills ( both oral and written) needed to tackle human ( primarily complex ethical) questions that a computer cannot --by algorithm -- answer, are an issue we will further deal with.
    We are increasingly interacting with others remotely, quickly, superficially...

I am a Composition/English literature educator at the community college level and have, first hand, seen what the lack of oral and written skills is creating for our younger generation. I am just completing my certification to teach ( just received my Masters) but, have been tutoring students along the way. The percentage of students coming into community college entering remedial courses for reading and writing is increasing every year. The situation is dire.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I do understand your dismay for the decline in verbal and writing skills, when I moved to work in England I was taken aback by the poor level of education displayed by the work experience kids coming to the clinic, at least it boosted my own confidence as although raised bilingual my studies were exclusively in Italian (ok there was a fair bit of Latin and ancient Greek thrown in for good measure). But Al's point is what can we do to keep SD alive and vibrant, not to set right the failures of the education system. Probably those who prefer the bite size information that can be gained on Facebook groups and the like (but let's not bundle them all together, there are some extremely knowledgeable ultra-specialized fishkeeping FB groups) may not have the attention span to properly look after discus in the first place. Nonetheless what we can do is to continue to be as friendly, informative and helpful as always and play to the strengths of the forum format, that is to give a more complete, balanced and generally "peer reviewed" answer.

Real Name
    Steve

[QUOTE=Paul Sabucchi;128943 Do you think we should ask Al for a section where we can discuss fish other than Discus and their tank mates (nothing fancy, no need for individual sections about each type of fish under the sun - just "rest of the fish world" kind of thing)? Really worried by the downward trend I see in many fishkeeping forums.

Actually, there already is a section for non discus fish and pets down at the bottom of the forum page.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

You are quite right, I usually just go on the main Discus section, that obviously does not encompass extraneous creatures...Doh! It may be that going bald does not prevent having blond moments!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Here's the section for other freshwater fish http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-Invertebrates, saltwater fish etc http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...tes-and-Corals and other pets http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...201-Other-Pets. The forums format is quite subject matter rich.

It would be pretty cool of so other discus fish and other critters were highlighted in some of these other areas.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-10-2018 at 03:16 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12