ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody keeping Native Fish?

Default Anybody keeping Native Fish?

Hi all,
    Was wondering if any of you are keeping Native Fish? Ive kept a bunch in the past. Everything from sunfish to catfish and bass. Theres a few benefits to these over trops.Obviously not needing a heater is one. Some actually require the opposite..A chiller!

Im toying around with running another tank of them but havent decided which. Most of the native fish here are pretty drab but the pumkin seeds are colorful and abundant.Ive had them before. I did find a river population of Calico bass which are pretty cool looking and get to about 12 " here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crap...iw=360&bih=560

In CT theres no size restriction on river populations and they are abundant when present.My son and I spent a good hour just fishing a school to catch and release a few back.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Anybody keeping Native Fish?

I have in the past Al. I have kept mosquito fish and brackish water sailfin mollies. On the reef side I have kept a native Florida biotope http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=before+discus which is different and unique.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat. I'd forgot about your salties... That was a cool set up. I wish I had pics of my old days in salt water. I kept a few tanks of the Native marine fish here from Long Island Sound. Unfortunately that was from way before digital and I was a novice with film on a tight budget.

I have thought about doing another local marine tank. I have a pile of base rock I collected from south Florida years back and oyster rock here is abundant to say the least! Searobins would be cool in a tank I think.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Pat. I'd forgot about your salties... That was a cool set up. I wish I had pics of my old days in salt water. I kept a few tanks of the Native marine fish here from Long Island Sound. Unfortunately that was from way before digital and I was a novice with film on a tight budget.

I have thought about doing another local marine tank. I have a pile of base rock I collected from south Florida years back and oyster rock here is abundant to say the least! Searobins would be cool in a tank I think.

al
    That sounds cool Al, perhaps you could find some native invertebrates to go with the searobin unless it will eat them.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I really like darters. They hop and scoot instead of swim, and they always know what's going on. They can move their head independently of their body, so they're always checking out what you're doing when you're by the tank. Game fish are illegal to keep as pets here in Arizona, unfortunately.

I like Darters alot Adam. Some of the River Darters are very colorful but none around here that I know of. I should probably double check on the legality of game fish in CT as pets. Last time I checked there was no issues.

I had some neat fish awhile ago ...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...n-and-New-Fish

but I don't have access there anymore as my friends property was sold. I would love to try my hand again at keeping them,

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Mervin

Some of my first fish(about 45 years ago) were sticklebacks and other minnows.As a kid I couldn't afford store bought fish.I have even kept small lobster back then.Right now here in Canada it is illegal to take live fish of any species from any water way.They must be dead before you leave the area with them.Altho,you can buy native fish from the hatcheries if you have a land locked pond on your property.

Only in my smoker
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Some of my first fish(about 45 years ago) were sticklebacks and other minnows.As a kid I couldn't afford store bought fish.I have even kept small lobster back then.Right now here in Canada it is illegal to take live fish of any species from any water way.They must be dead before you leave the area with them.Altho,you can buy native fish from the hatcheries if you have a land locked pond on your property.
    Kind of funny isnt it . You can catch them and kill them but can't keep them alive.

Some of my first freshwater fish minnows from a local stream when I was in 6-7 th grade. I even wrote a report on them for my science class and got an A. That was a good 38 years ago Now look where I am ! lol

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Only in my smoker
    What time is dinner?
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Bill G.

I've kept many through the years like bass and sunfish which are neat, but my last set up was of white and black crappie. They got huge, had personality, and were easy to care for overall.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Kind of funny isnt it . You can catch them and kill them but can't keep them alive.

Some of my first freshwater fish minnows from a local stream when I was in 6-7 th grade. I even wrote a report on them for my science class and got an A. That was a good 38 years ago Now look where I am ! lol
    The reasoning would be not to contaminate or invade an area that the fish are not native.Captured native fish should never be released back into the environment especially if they were kept in a tank with domestic fish.So,I've read.That being said,some folks still like to keep them and the law doesn't seem to be enforced.

Agree there that once captured and kept they should never be released
    .They could potentially wreck havock on the wild population by carrying in diseases.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I caught these in a creek that feeds the Mayo River in San Bernardo, Alamos, Sonora, Mexico. I think they are a top minnow. I have 10 of them in a 20L. I haven't lost a 1.
    I introduced four angels..and they really pestered them.. so I separated them. I will return these minnows back to the creek tomorrow.
    sanbernardominnows.jpg
    There is also a type of cichlid present in this creek as well... I think it might be Cichlasoma Beani... but a little unsure. I will try to catch some of those when I release the Minnows.
    sanbernardocichlasoma.jpg
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

The dry season is coming to an end... these creeks are really, really low and overcrowded. The birds just pick the fish off rapidly at this point. We just received the first rain last night, so hopefully a few more and this creek will swell and carry a good number of these out to the Mayo River.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast