ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying Something New

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Trying Something New

I have always been fascinated with poison dart frogs and after doing a bit of research decided to try it. I did learn that the poison the frogs produce is from their diets of ants etc in the wild. So the frogs raised domestically do not pose a danger to humans. You can setup a really gorgeous terrarium for these guys with plants, moss, water features etc. So I decided to order the terrarium and it's supplies as a x-mas gift to myself

I want to setup the terrarium setup prior to ordering any frogs. I may start with the Dendrobates auratus 'Costa Rican Green & Black' Dart Frog but will be doing more research during the terrarium setup.

Anyone here ever keep poison dart frogs?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Default Re: Trying Something New

I haven't but I've always thought that they were the coolest thing ever. I can't wait to follow this new journey you're embarking on.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Sounds interesting.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I haven't but I've always thought that they were the coolest thing ever. I can't wait to follow this new journey you're embarking on.
    Thanks Liz, the terrarium setup looks to be super cool, like a little bit of the rain forest in your house.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Sounds interesting.
    Thanks Brian, you can keep different types of frogs together and some frogs will not tolerate other frogs. You even have the watch the gender of the frogs.
    Pat

Real Name
    Tom

Never kept them but this past summer at the Mystic Aquarium they had a huge terrarium with them. Very interesting! Wasn’t it in the Jurassic park movies that we learned they can change sex!

Hey Pat, sounds fascinating how big of a terrarium are you looking at, wish you the best of luck. Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Never kept them but this past summer at the Mystic Aquarium they had a huge terrarium with them. Very interesting! Wasn’t it in the Jurassic park movies that we learned they can change sex!
    Hi Tom, not sure about the frog comment but definitely remember when they said "Life will find a way" in the Jurassic Park movies.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    Hey Pat, sounds fascinating how big of a terrarium are you looking at, wish you the best of luck. Jim in Ohio
    Thank you Jim, I am going with a 18x18x18 terrarium. Big enough to house a couple frogs depending on the frogs selected.
    Pat

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sounds like a fun project Pat! I have often wondered about a terrarium with dart frogs but never bother to find out their poison comes from their diet in the wild LOLz. Trust you are well. Just stopping by to say g'day! To you as well Liz & Brian

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Sounds like a fun project Pat! I have often wondered about a terrarium with dart frogs but never bother to find out their poison comes from their diet in the wild LOLz. Trust you are well. Just stopping by to say g'day! To you as well Liz & Brian
    Well hello Danny, talk about long time, no talk. I hope you are well also. You keeping fish these days?
    Pat.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I am well thanks Pat. I have a 500 gallon Malawi predator, hap & peacock tank, and a 110 gallon tropheus tank. Once our teenage boys have grown up & moved out I would love to get another discus tank, but cannot give them the time & energy they deserve at this stage of life. All the best to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I have always been fascinated with poison dart frogs and after doing a bit of research decided to try it. I did learn that the poison the frogs produce is from their diets of ants etc in the wild. So the frogs raised domestically do not pose a danger to humans. You can setup a really gorgeous terrarium for these guys with plants, moss, water features etc. So I decided to order the terrarium and it's supplies as a x-mas gift to myself

I want to setup the terrarium setup prior to ordering any frogs. I may start with the Dendrobates auratus 'Costa Rican Green & Black' Dart Frog but will be doing more research during the terrarium setup.

Anyone here ever keep poison dart frogs?
    Pat
    Oh boy.. Pats going the route of Jack Wattley now! Wattley got into Dart frogs in a big way in his latter years.

https://joshsfrogs.com/sp/dendrobate...attley-dart064

I haven't kept poison darts Pat.. always was too worried for the cats. I have kept quite a few other tree frogs though.

I did have some good experiences with Mantella frogs at a local petshop I helped out at. .. they are from madagascar and come in poisonous and not poisonous species. Though unrelated to Darts they look just like them and fill similar niches.

Sounds like you will be having alot of fun with them. Enjoy!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Oh boy.. Pats going the route of Jack Wattley now! Wattley got into Dart frogs in a big way in his latter years.

https://joshsfrogs.com/sp/dendrobate...attley-dart064

I haven't kept poison darts Pat.. always was too worried for the cats. I have kept quite a few other tree frogs though.

I did have some good experiences with Mantella frogs at a local petshop I helped out at. .. they are from madagascar and come in poisonous and not poisonous species. Though unrelated to Darts they look just like them and fill similar niches.

Sounds like you will be having alot of fun with them. Enjoy!
    Thanks Al I had no clue that Jack W. was into dart frogs. I see you included a link to Josh's Frogs with Wattley's line. That's too cool. What did you feed the frogs you had? From the video's I have been watching seems the dart frogs are eating fruit flies.
    Pat

Pat it reminded me the t-shirt that I bought in Costa Rica.

20231210_135043.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast