ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not ideal but how do I solve this

Registered Member

Default not ideal but how do I solve this

Hi I kept discus a number or years ago and know they should be kept in groups however I have recently acquired 2 young discus they seemed fine in their old tank but on moving to mine they have done nothing but hide behind the bogwood. I did go look round all my LFS in the area but there are not many that stock discus and the ones that have some have them MUCH bigger and think that will do more harm than good.

I have only had them 3 days and have dimmed the light but this has made no difference, all that is in the tank with them is a few corys and a bristle nose cat tank is 4 foot by 15" and the two discus are about the size of a 50p (British money)

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    nitrate 5
    PH 6.8

Any advice on how to get these young discus to settle ideally I would add more of a similar size but this seems impossible at the moment

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: not ideal but how do I solve this

Hi aqua 360, first welcome to Simply. Being that there are only two discus (do way better in groups of six or more) doesn't help and it an awfully big tank for two tiny discus. First, are they eating, if so I would just give them time. Is the tank bare bottom? If yes is the bottom painted? If no, tape some white paper to the bottom of the tank. Can you post a picture?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Yes I know they do better in groups but the only ones I can get are much bigger the tank is big but it is planted and has a huge bit of bogwood in it. They have eaten but only picked I not seen them eat today substrate flurite black sand.

I though maybe get some tetra to show them it was safe to swim about I would get more but as I said the only ones I can find are MUCH biggerIMG_2499.JPG

that is the tank but you can't see the discus they behind the bogwood
    Last edited by aqua 360; 06-03-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Can you raise these guys in a bare bottom tank? I am concerned that they may not do well in a planted tank with a substrate. The substrate will catch more uneaten food and junk then you can siphon out.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

I would set up a bare bottom grow out tank. If discus have a place to hide they will hide. With yours being so young the bare bottom tank gives them time to adjust to you. These little babies need this. You get the added advantage of the bond between you and them. I'm afraid that in your present system they will hide till they waste away.

Registered Member

I have a 2 foot tank I could set up but it is obviously not cycled I would have to insta cycle using bacteria from other tanks but even doing that I will probably get a cycle of some kind. Not really something I want to put discus though. I think I might leave lights low or even off a few days and see what happens. If I do find more of a simalar size I will get more as I said in my OP none of this is ideal or how I wanted to do things

EDIT Just been upstairs tank light was off as was room light turned room light on both of them were out from behind bogwood and stayed out for a while although one seems braver than the other. I put a little food in and one of them ate a little (other one went back behind bogwood when I went near tank) It might be a matter of time will see how it goes.
    Last edited by aqua 360; 06-03-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

If it makes you feel any better you could instant cycle with filters from established tanks and 50% water to fill new tank from an established one.

Registered Member

Well both discus have been out this morning one more than the other. One of them stayed out in a semi open area a long time eating away and even came into the fully open area the other I could not locate at all despite trying but it did come out briefly

The brave one is back out in a fully open area eating again. I am not as worried now. The shy one may well be eating in cover food does go in that area. I think oh wait they are both out as I type in a fully open area and both eating. I think maybe they might just need time.

They may just need time but that tank has so much cover its not surprising they hide.. If they are not sick they may come out on their own. The problem with adding anything at this point is it wont be quarantined and you may introduce disease.

I would try removing the bog wood for awhile. You can put it back in after they are used to the tank.

You can also try mirrors. its not commonly used in discus keeping but discus do respond to discus in adjoining tanks and I have had them attack reflections when guarding eggs. Home improvement stores sell inexpensive mirrors .. its worth a try.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    They may just need time but that tank has so much cover its not surprising they hide.. If they are not sick they may come out on their own. The problem with adding anything at this point is it wont be quarantined and you may introduce disease.

I would try removing the bog wood for awhile. You can put it back in after they are used to the tank.

You can also try mirrors. its not commonly used in discus keeping but discus do respond to discus in adjoining tanks and I have had them attack reflections when guarding eggs. Home improvement stores sell inexpensive mirrors .. its worth a try.

Al
    Yes adding fish in directly without quarantine would be risky. I have thought about swapping the bogwood for the 2 smaller pieces I have in my 6 foot tank downstairs (there is less wood in both pieces put together than the one upstairs)

Now I know they are eating I am much less worried so have time to decide on what is best to do. I had not thought about mirrors I have a spare mirror so can give that a go

I think I will give it until the weekend and then if they are still not out much decide on swapping the bogwood about. I think that might have to happen anyway but would prefer to have them settled if it is possible before as while they are hiding they are stressed so removing the main hiding place would add to that stress (and they would hide somewhere else.)

But at least they are eating which gives me time to decide on the best course of action to take

Sounds good.Keep us updated please.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Sounds good.Keep us updated please.
    Al
    I decided not to wait after all and moved the bogwood over as expected they are hiding somewhere else but I did disturb them, totally changing the environment my final reasoning being it would be a shame to get them settled only to cause them further upheaval and them go back into hiding. I put in 1 smaller bit of bogwood. (will add the other later) They are currently hiding behind the plants at the back of the tank in the corner so have left them with the light off.

Hopefully I have done the right thing I certainly think it will be easier to clean in the long term and the large bogwood looks great in the 6 foot tank that tank has never been able to keep plants as the musk turtles pull them up but I am hoping they won't touch the anubias's as they are attached to the wood.

Well anyway I think lights can stay off discus tank until later tonight or even tomorrow.

Will keep you updated

Registered Member

Well things have come along a little, both discus been swimming around in the open one of them seems settled in completely although there has not been any begging or anything yet the settled one is eating well and a happy colour. The other one it is swimming in the open and it did eat yesterday before I moved the bogwood but I have not seen it eat today and its colour is a little dark it also has fins lowered indicating it is not comfortable yet but as it is swimming in the open I feel there is hope. The one that has not settled in yet is the smallest of the pair but not by much but hopefully it will settle more soon.

I do think moving the bogwood was the right move though

Sounds like a big improvement. Be patient now and they should settle right in.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Sounds like a big improvement. Be patient now and they should settle right in.

al

Yeah there nothing else I can do now except keep hands out of the tank as much as possible, they will either settle or they won't but it looking promising. Certainly looks better than it did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast