ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you buy from a hobby breeder?

Registered Member

Default Re: What would you buy from a hobby breeder?

I don't think it is that difficult buying from a breeder and I for one would happily do so, in fact I did.

I asked to see the parents to see what they would look like, spoke to the hobbyist in length to judge his interest in fish, rather than just interest in making money, asked for pictures of the fish for sale and posted pictures asking the experts how they looked and if they were stunted.

You are probably not going to get discus the quality of Stendker or professional breeders, but nowadays with all the knowledge available from these forums and many more, hobbyists do know the way to breed and grow out the fry in the right way. I could afford much larger discus at cheaper prices to what I would have had to pay for tiny fry from a more established and professional breeder and the fish only had to remain in a bag during transport for 1 day, improving their survival chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidan View Post
    I don't think it is that difficult buying from a breeder and I for one would happily do so, in fact I did.

I asked to see the parents to see what they would look like, spoke to the hobbyist in length to judge his interest in fish, rather than just interest in making money, asked for pictures of the fish for sale and posted pictures asking the experts how they looked and if they were stunted.

You are probably not going to get discus the quality of Stendker or professional breeders, but nowadays with all the knowledge available from these forums and many more, hobbyists do know the way to breed and grow out the fry in the right way. I could afford much larger discus at cheaper prices to what I would have had to pay for tiny fry from a more established and professional breeder and the fish only had to remain in a bag during transport for 1 day, improving their survival chances.
    +1

Registered Member

I would love to see some of the "wild" type strains being bred today. I have a deep love for Tefe Greens and would love to stock the 320 gallon tank I am building with them. Unfortunately,it is not easy to find true wild Tefes at a reasonable price that are healthy right now. So I would like to find something that looks like Tefes that are domestically raised.

Registered Member

After researching for quite a bit about getting into Discus, I wanted to get some nice cobalt with good shape that came from a reputable breeder (But got Priced out ), So i ended up looking for some small ones that i can grow out from local hobby breeder's. As i was looking to get the experience of keeping discus for the first time and making sure i understand what all goes into keeping them healthy, I was more interested in seeing if they young ones look healthy and at their price (Didn't really focus on the strain / shape / Parental history)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123