ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 50g Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

Default 50g Tank

I have a planted 50g tank and was wondering what quantity of discus I should have. I was thinking no more than 3. Also, what/how many tank mates would be good. Thank you for your time

Registered Member

Default Re: 50g Tank

Discus need to be in groups of at least 5-6 or a breeding pair. I currently have 2 juvies in a 55 g planted tank but there was no other option for these guys and they are hiding a lot unfortunately I can't get hold of any more the same size and adding ones much bigger would not help them.

As to non-discus tank mates cory cats, cardinal tetra (they tolorate the high temp better than neons), bristle nose cats etc I wouldn't get black tetra they can be fin nippers and whatever you do don't get tiger barbs.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottypants713 View Post
    I have a planted 50g tank and was wondering what quantity of discus I should have. I was thinking no more than 3. Also, what/how many tank mates would be good. Thank you for your time
    50 gallons is too small. They are happiest in groups of 6 or more which require a 75 gallon tank. Otherwise they will pick on the smallest fish and it will die.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Scottypants713 View Post
    Hi Scott, I also think the 50 is too small for discus especially since they really do better in groups. If you are serious about this you could try a group of four with no tank mates. Are you new to discus? Reason I ask is keeping discus well in a planted tank is a bit tricky and it is best to have experience with both before combining discus and a planted tank. If you do decide to try discus be sure to get 4 inch discus or better. Also your success may depend on the group dynamics of the four discus and the possible aggression across the group.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening