AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Barb's goldfish pond

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Barb's goldfish pond

Guess what I spent yesterday doing? My pretty little 500gal. goldfish pond that I dug last summer and have worked so hard on, and enjoy so much, and is so pretty, got a snake in it. It was a 24" Wide Band Watersnake, looked it up. I kept an eye on it, f or 4 days then I couldn't take it anymore. It ate 2 of my 8 pretty goldfish. Doing what comes naturally of course, I couldn't blame it., But it had to go, it was ruining my pond fun. So yesterday I drained almost the whole pond and caught and relocated the snake to a huge pond down the street. Many people told me to kill it. Wouldn't dream of doing that. Besides, I believe in Karma. It was a hard, hot, dirty job, but I got it done. It may happen again, we have a huge pond right behind our house. I will be putting gutter guard along the whole perimeter of the bottom of the fence which surrounds the whole yard. So there is my Saturday.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Barb's goldfish pond

I am glad you did not kill it Barb. I am sure you had a long, hard day however.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Barb,
    Im glad you relocated it too. Sorry you lost some of your fish. Its frustrating.I remember when a heron cleaned out my koi pond a while back.Very frustrating!

After that we turned it into a frog pond. And along came a northern water snake which went to town on my frog population there.Along came a second one as well... and they mated. Being live bearers I never found eggs anywhere but I am sure she probably had babies if she lived long enough. These Adults were not shy. I could throw them a fish and they would actually catch it in their razor sharp teeth within moments. I enjoyed watching and hearing my frogs but as you said the snake was only doing whats natural. In my case I also enjoyed watching the snakes sun themselves and swim and hunt. Being a snake keeper/breeder and naturalist at heart I could not harm.the snakes.They eventually moved on or were eaten by the red shouldered hawk that also fished for frogs there. It was quite the interesting pond while I had it.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-04-2018 at 04:39 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Guess what I spent yesterday doing? My pretty little 500gal. goldfish pond that I dug last summer and have worked so hard on, and enjoy so much, and is so pretty, got a snake in it. It was a 24" Wide Band Watersnake, looked it up. I kept an eye on it, f or 4 days then I couldn't take it anymore. It ate 2 of my 8 pretty goldfish. Doing what comes naturally of course, I couldn't blame it., But it had to go, it was ruining my pond fun. So yesterday I drained almost the whole pond and caught and relocated the snake to a huge pond down the street. Many people told me to kill it. Wouldn't dream of doing that. Besides, I believe in Karma. It was a hard, hot, dirty job, but I got it done. It may happen again, we have a huge pond right behind our house. I will be putting gutter guard along the whole perimeter of the bottom of the fence which surrounds the whole yard. So there is my Saturday.
    Barb
    Was hoping there would be a pic attached Barb! My issue was Heron. I could deal with them though. The raccoon...I couldn't. The morning I went out to see little piles of scales around the pond and most of my fish gone was the day I gave up. They really do clean their food before they eat it. It was a dead giveaway- pardon the pun. We filled it in and put a fountain there instead. No fun but less work and emotional investment. Some of those fish were over 8 years old.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields