AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man's Best Friend Thread

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Man's Best Friend Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    She is a proud American Terrier mix (a mutt). Her coat is what's called a broken coat. There is a soft undercoat and a harsh top coat. If you use clippers on a coat like that it supresses the growth of the top coat and encourages the growth of the undercoat which ruins the coat.

She doesn't need grooming. She's fine as she is. But if I had her in the shop I would pluck off the fluffy stuff on her thighs. It doesn't hurt when you pluck the coat breaks off at the place the break is. It's not like you yank it out from the skin. I would clean up the top of her head and the hair on her ears to make those lovely drop ears stand out. I would also pluck out some of the hair on her face to enhance her fine neck ruff. That bit of cleaning up would make her pretty face stand out and her body look tidy but still a bit rough.

If a Terrier person where to groom the dog you as the owner would see a big difference in the dog's appearance. A person who had never seen the dog would think that it's hair had just grown that way. I've always wanted to mentor someone in the finer points of grooming but I've been doing this for 40 years and the only poeple interested in learning to groom only wanted to know enough to be able to open their own shop. That's why dog grooming is considered by the government to be unskilled labor. It usually it is.

Sorry to go off on a rant. Gypsy is a good looking dog just as she is.
    Thank you for the nice detailed response Liz. I like that ...American Terrier Mutt Mutts are the best dogs you know.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

You don't have to tell me that. I'm the queen of muttdom.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Sorry your dog freaks out during bath time. Mine used to freak out with thunder or lightning and we have a whole season of storms in Florida. Having a trembling dog pacing on your head all night isn’t fun. I would trade you phobias but a backache is as bad if not worse.
    The absolute best thing about Border terriers is they don’t smell and don’t need baths. I used to have that special comb to groom her, but I gave up after 2 yrs. When she’s not groomed she looks a lot like your dog Pat, except for the wavy hair and if her tail is really curled all the time.
    I love how you can see a dogs personality from a picture in these shots. Shep looks dignified and proud. Max looks so playful and they all look content and happy.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You don't have to tell me that. I'm the queen of muttdom.
    Me too. Only had one dog who was a purebred and it was a pointer we used for hunting.
    Pat

Real Name
    Bill G.

My best friend ( don't tell the wife...lol) is my Collie Forte. He is abt 5 and is always the happy one to see me come home. I tend to like dogs more than most people.....if u know what I mean.
    He was cute as a puppy.
    IMG_0022.JPG

But now he's got all the personality and is the joy of our lives.
    IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg
    Last edited by 14Discus; 06-08-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Real Name
    Tobi
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I thought you liked her butt. Ha ha just kidding. She’s cute in this pic, but terriers can be a pill. She’s like yours as far as micro managing everything. I like the look on your dogs face. It really captures his personality.
    Patty
    Thanks Patty. He is quite the character. He is currently practicing for his new role as Dennis the Menace. Ugh lol. Hes into everything and just one big ole pup.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    My best friend ( don't tell the wife...lol) is my Collie Forte. He is abt 5 and is always the happy one to see me come home. I tend to like dogs more than most people.....if u know what I mean.
    He was cute as a puppy.
    IMG_0022.JPG

But now he's got all the personality and is the joy of our lives.
    IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg
    What a handsome fellow! I know you are very proud of him.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

What kinda bird is that in the second pic?

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Me too. Only had one dog who was a purebred and it was a pointer we used for hunting.
    Pat
    My first “ grown up dog” meaning when I was a grown up was a mutt. When I would take her to the groomer they would try to make her look like something she was not, a schnauzer. Cocapoo, I finally told them not to ty to make her look like anything, just shave her down and keep her comfortable. She was a pure mutt and I loved her dearly. She was my best dog. I had only known mutts as a kid too. My husband inherited my mutt, Rumba, so I told him he could pick the next dog. I got Murphy who I also love dearly, but there is definitely a difference in my mind to a dog that needs a home and a dog that wants a home. I’m thinking I should get to pick the next one, or let her pick me. The mutt I picked was the one that tried to hide amongst the litter at the shelter. I reached my hand in for the white one and she shrunk back in fear of the hand. My attention went to her-the scared one,the black runt and my heart melted. Best dog ever!

Real Name
    Patty

Oh my gosh Tobi, mine field-that’s hilarious! You crack me up!
    Patty
    Last edited by Pices; 06-09-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel13 View Post
    What kinda bird is that in the second pic?
    It’s a Peregrine falcon chick. This is one of my imprints this year, named her Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Oh my gosh Tobi, mine field-that’s hilarious! You crack me up!
    Patty
    Funny but true, the last pic is just a teaser of the rest of the place. We gave up on lawn maintenance years ago. We’ve also got some spur thighed tortoises, they help the dogs plenty with the digging

8850A234-768D-47BD-84D9-3A0ABBC97C94.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Patty

Tortoises? Do you have other (living) lawn mowers? I have such a love for turtles. We have a lot of gopher turtles here in Florida. I don’t what it is about them. Maybe that they have survived for eons without rushing around, the exact opposite of most humans. Love theses pics Tobi.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    It’s a Peregrine falcon chick. This is one of my imprints this year, named her Emma.

Funny but true, the last pic is just a teaser of the rest of the place. We gave up on lawn maintenance years ago. We’ve also got some spur thighed tortoises, they help the dogs plenty with the digging

8850A234-768D-47BD-84D9-3A0ABBC97C94.jpg
    Tobi, you Peregrine falcon chick and tortoises could be a topic for a whole new thread.
    Pat

Pat, it would be a good idea to start another thread about all the animals some of us have other than cats and dogs. I know that you have horses.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast